YZF/THUNDERACE SWINGARM CONVERSION

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

andyaber
Site Sponsor

Re: YZF/THUNDERACE SWINGARM CONVERSION

Post by andyaber » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm

There have been as many different results of measuring wheel alignment as solutions put forward.

The 'best' solution is the one that suits your situation.

Cheers, Andy.

dixonj
Site Sponsor

Post by dixonj » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm

andyaber wrote:There have been as many different results of measuring wheel alignment as solutions put forward.

The 'best' solution is the one that suits your situation.

Cheers, Andy.
How true.

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trixed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Good robust discussion though which the whole
point of our forum. The optimum solution for ones
own bike is the final outcome.
It is time to rev your hearts!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:36 am

Yes good to see a healthy discussion .. We all seem to find a balance on here which is good to see and no body really seems to take things personally as no one is attacking anyone just putting in their own observations.. 8) 8) ..Just don't mention the war :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:37 am

Re-took the measurements this weekend, this time to the front the tire edge rather than rim and my 6mm difference mentioned earlier still applies

Not much point in me sharing my latest measures as they do not meet the 60mm difference between a 120 front and 180 rear section tire… due to the fact than my 120 section front Dunlop Qualifier tire doesn’t really look like a 120 tire (although I forgot to measure it #-o )

A Thunderace swingarm was bought off eBay & is on its way for modifying! :D

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12 am

good stuff,

I with the YZF swing arm there is a 4mm spacer on either side, which when fitted to the trx and putting both spacers on the left side moves the swingarm 4mm to the right,

Is it the case that there are no spacers with the Thunderace swingarm?
Paul

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 am

No spacers on the Thunderace pivot axel as far I recall, it's exactly the same as the TRX one and just slots in place.

jonnyboy79
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jonnyboy79 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:00 am

dixonj wrote:As title says off set sprocket for use with YZF/Thunderace swingarm.

all work done by Paul

Fair chance I missed it... But can someone help a brother out and tell me what bike this offset front sprocket is actually off?

Cheers All

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat May 17, 2014 10:55 am

jonnyboy79 wrote:

Fair chance I missed it... But can someone help a brother out and tell me what bike this offset front sprocket is actually off?

Cheers All
It's actually off set .... get it :wink: :hahaha:

jonnyboy79
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jonnyboy79 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 am

After the over whelming response to my last post about this off-set front sprocket.
Is there anyone out there that knows what model bike the off-set sprocket is off?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

You'll find its a 1 of made up.

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 pm

I intended for a while to post on this thread, photos etc. of this mod & sharing the information I have accumulated during the process.. Dixonj is worthy of all credit here, kudos to him for having done all the research and ground work!

The sprocket is a talon sprocket sourced from Debben here in the UK, part number TG 479 17T. It comes with a 10mm offset and 530 pitch, it needs to be machined down to 6mm offset and 525 pitch to keep standard chain/sprocket unless you go down the 530 conversion.. I understood from Debben that these sprockets are originally made for Kawasakis, not sure which model the sprocket in question here is for though. Screenshot below narrows down on the model I guess..

And the modified sprocket:

I struggled for a while with taking measurements for front/rear wheel alignment etc. but after a while, I finally got round to doing it properly. :lol:

Chain off, rear wheel at the back of the swingarm:

Gaps measured both sides at the front wheel:

I'm running full YZF750 front and Thunderace rear and both wheels are pretty much aligned. Did 10.000kms like this, without the sprocket mod and you could see that the chain wasn't tracking true, resulting in some light chain friction noise when riding. After the mod, chain tracks true and friction noise has disappeared, tried to take some pictures of the chain but it's a little tricky with the phone so will need to get the proper camera out!

As said, Kudos to Dixonj as it really sorts out the chain when fitting a T-ace or YZF750 swingarm! Also hoping it's ok for me to share his info here :oops: !

Hope this helps!
Adrien

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:01 pm

54 fookin quid!!!!!! These guys will knock you all one up cheaper from a TRX regular sprocket blank.

http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/

Note the blank:

http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Sprockets.html
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Mincehead wrote:54 fookin quid!!!!!! These guys will knock you all one up cheaper from a TRX regular sprocket blank.

http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/

Note the blank:

http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Sprockets.html
A little on the pricey end indeed but for me, having a first correct copy will make reproduction easier later on. :D

Thanks for the link btw! :wink:

baverhae
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by baverhae » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:14 am

Why does nowbody measures along the rim without the tire? Aligning a wheel with the tire on will never give a reliable measurement. The rubber of the tire is rarely pretty symmetrical. Measure with one of two laser pointers along the rims. As we do with cars when we aligne the front suspension. Aim to a wooden board a few meters before the bike en mark where the laser is pointing. Do it at the left and the right of the rear wheel. Same for the front. Measure the width of the rims and use all those numbers fore a correct alignment. A laser pointer doesn't cost a rib of your body :wink:
And make sure the wheels are one the centerline off the motorcycle. Start with the front wheel. It must be in the middle of the front fork!!
If the wheels are correctly aligned, you can start with the offset of the sprocket.
Owner of a red TRX with a 900 engine, 39mm Mikuni flatslides, 2-1 large bore stainless steel systeem (projection-components), R6 front and back suspension, FZR 1000 swingarm and wheels ... and with water, oil and fuel only 185kg.