tR1x

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Re: tR1x

Post by alextrx850 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

Just measured the height to the side lower fairing chrome fastener, (which may be the only common measuring point apart from the mirror bolts these days)..to my YZF front and found 68 mm from the cement to the middle of the bolt.
This might give light to some of the options about like R6,..R1...and yzf..as far as to know how much the front height has differed...( which really is the steering angle ).
My unmolested Rex has a 70 mm measurement from same scenario...mind the 60 series tyre compared to the yzf 70 series.

So for the YZF front, it's two millimetres lower total.
Measurement was on the vertical.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 am

Hey Dave, the mounting points for the mudguard are 60mm centre to centre & the rear mounting point above the calipers is 30mm centre to centre above the caliper bolt.

I'm _almost_ 100% sure yours is '02/03, given the Gold preload adaptors & the non radial Goldspot calipers. In '04 they went to radially mounted Goldspot calipers.

(The Radial M/C from the '04 is a good upgrade too, pistons are the same between the regular & the radially mounted Goldspots, that what I'm running on mine)

My forks are the 98-01 version, blue preload adaptor & Bluespot calipers, but checking the part number on the front guard, it appears to be the same across all years '02 up to '08 - the Yamaha part number is 5PW-21611-00-P0 through to 5PW-21611-00-P4 (suffix P0, P1, P2 P3 P4), the last part seems to be for colour only, so I'd say 02-08 front guards will fit.

98-01 guards _may_ fit, but they have a different part number 4XV-21511-01-P0 etc. Check the measurements.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 am

Ok, much thanks MV, can I swing by sometime and see if your 'guard fits my front end? I've got a lead on a pattern 98/01 in blue so want to see if that's worth pursuing.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 am

davamb wrote:Ok, much thanks MV, can I swing by sometime and see if your 'guard fits my front end? I've got a lead on a pattern 98/01 in blue so want to see if that's worth pursuing.
Yeah mate, my sheds always open.

It's very messy but!

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 am

The TRX has a new front guard at last, which although not a colour match, still improves the aesthetics. If only the forks were black or silver instead of gold. Give me a hoy when you're back from the States Mick and I'll swing by and drop of the loaner - much thanks.

I've also fitted the new clipons and made up a plate to take the ignition switch and steering lock. 6mm Aluminium plate - taken me about 5 hours of cutting, grinding, drilling and filing. This still needs a bit of tidying-up, I've got to cut the bolts down flush with the plate surface and then paint the it black. Nice to have a steering lock again though.

Just done a "soap run" out to Loch and back to buy more hand-made soap. Well that's my excuse for going for a fang anyway. I think the tyre is the only thing stopping this from being a huge success. Each run I feel more confident on it and it's only the shitty old front bald Bakelite that lets the show down.

I found that it rewards hanging-off in a way that the old front end never did and it is a lot more stable. At one point I was cutting a corner a bit too much (no centre lines here buddy) and a car appeared, I just picked her up, let her drift wide a tad and then back over - piece of piss. Old front end would have given me a nervy.

New front tyre to be fitted next weekend. Can't wait.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 am

So how did you fix the speedo in the end?

And is your left button unit original? Never seen one like that. Where the main light switch should be, it is blinded off. Is the headlight always on?
On my bike, with Japanese model loom, the light is always on but the switch is still there. It is used for emergency lights (indicators L+R).

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Tarwetijger, nope, no speedo yet, just running the GPS on the tankbag. Still got to design tan axle and get it turned up. Wish I had a lathe.

Yep, that's how all Aussie models come, with the headlight wired on permanently. It's an Australian Design Regulation (ADR). Stupid really, think it only lasted 5 years before they rescinded it.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 am

One of these will fix the problem Dave. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:18 pm

I see, Davamb.
Stu99 wrote:One of these will fix the problem Dave. :D
Oh I love those, motogadget isn't it? 8)

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Stu, I should have you, MV and Cobba all on my "foe" list so I don't get any more crazy ideas from you mongrels. Seriously though, I actually run a pushbike speedo on the Norton so I can have a trip meter. It only has an odo and that's in miles (the speedo has a kph overlay). Nice little gizmo it is too - Cateye Velo7, accurate up to around 160kph - ahh... apparently. Dunno what you'd be doing on a pushy at that speed though. Might grab another one for the TRX in the interim. Only hassle is it has no illumination so not much use at night.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:18 pm

davamb wrote:Stu, I should have you, MV and Cobba all on my "foe" list so I don't get any more crazy ideas from you mongrels. Seriously though, I actually run a pushbike speedo on the Norton so I can have a trip meter. It only has an odo and that's in miles (the speedo has a kph overlay). Nice little gizmo it is too - Cateye Velo7, accurate up to around 160kph - ahh... apparently. Dunno what you'd be doing on a pushy at that speed though. Might grab another one for the TRX in the interim. Only hassle is it has no illumination so not much use at night.
Yes, we are all guilty. :laughing6:
Sigma bicycle computers used to be accurate to 299kph :?:
Fastest I've ever been on the pushy was 107kph, back in the day. In the Pyrenees, big descents.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 am

Fastest I've ever been on the pushy was 107kph, back in the day. In the Pyrenees, big descents.[/quote]

Two wheel magnets stu :^o
only kiddin.....Pyrenees very steep tru dat.
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 am

Yep, no second magnet required Fung, just the 53/12, a good helping of leg speed plus gravity. :D
Kinda funny when I think back to doing that clad only in a thread of lycra and half a helmet, yet these days won't ride down the freeway without full leathers, boots, gloves and full face. :lol:

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Stu99 wrote:Kinda funny when I think back to doing that clad only in a thread of lycra and half a helmet, yet these days won't ride down the freeway without full leathers, boots, gloves and full face. :lol:
I'm with ya there Stu, I've lost more skin on pushbikes than I have to motorbikes - and that's with nearly 40 years of motorbike riding!
To be honest though, I've broken less bones on the pushy. Not by much though!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 pm

davamb wrote:
Stu99 wrote:Kinda funny when I think back to doing that clad only in a thread of lycra and half a helmet, yet these days won't ride down the freeway without full leathers, boots, gloves and full face. :lol:
I'm with ya there Stu, I've lost more skin on pushbikes than I have to motorbikes - and that's with nearly 40 years of motorbike riding!
To be honest though, I've broken less bones on the pushy. Not by much though!
Without trying to offend Lady Luck and fate, my various scars and my titanium arm are courtesy of the pushy. To be fair though, riding ain't racing, and if I raced the moto like I used to race the pushy then the score would probably be pretty even or worse. :lol: