E-Shift

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: E-Shift

Post by dicky » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:10 am

Yeah, worm gears are a one-way device. Good for when you need a high ratio and minimal backlash.
I want to see this working in Drag mode, WOT and automatic gear change when it hits the shift light revs.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:29 am

this is incredible work!

its a shame the trx isnt ride by wire as you are so close to developing your your own quickshift/blipper!

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:43 am

After a (large) amount of software development and a bit of hardware revision, in glorious BessieVision:

https://gdurl.com/WONR

Can't get my leg up on to the peg properly, so I'm spending half my poor remaining single brain cell's processing power on this and not on my clutch/shift coordination.
I do manage to get it together to string a couple of clutchless upshifts though. That was a blast. Bessie not running that well though, needs some fresh petrol and some more attention. Poor old girl.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky

Post by dicky » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:51 am

Awesome!
Well done mate.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:21 pm

Very impressed by your work! =D> :salute: :notworthy:

And I'm sure, ol' Bessie appreciates your efforts, too, for not letting her stand in the shed only.

Applausing greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:47 am

Good onya Dave, I dare say it''s all a bit foreign feeling, just a matter of getting used to it. I'm sure Mick Doohan took some time getting used to his thumb brake.
All the best mate, shiney up, rubber down.
Cheers,
Alan.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Have done a heap of software changes and have altered my whole implementation philosophy of setpoints and targets. Result is faster shift times and more accurate changes. Have also added the clutch sensor, so NO changes out of Neutral unless the clutch is in. Also ready to try pre-select function on downshifts - see if that makes any improvements in left-hand tasks while shifting. Also booked a track session at PI for early in the new year. Get to put your old leathers on again after 3+ years Al. Will it get thru scrutineering? Dunno. Got to try though.

Am going to make a small (5 units) batch of these, a couple will be optimised for the TRX (Will also build for Tiger XRx and early S1000RR.) Anyone interested in being part of a trial? Happy to loan these out. 99% bolt-on reversible mod (have to glue a small magnet to the clutch arm above the gearbox, so lose a % there). Ideally you would be able to visit Corinella for me to install it and get it to learn your shifts. You would accept any challenges or risks (no risks that I can see apart from the user selecting the wrong gear at the wrong time) and to give me feedback on use; problems and suggested improvements and help put a users' manual and video together. In return, If you like it, I'd be ok to pass these trial kits on at cost price. Ideally you would also have an Initech installed.

Dry and sunny today so will be posting a video later on. Wish me luck!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:30 am

Here we go:
https://gdurl.com/HHdc
What a blast. Need a quieter bike to explore this a bit more and get the hang of it. Or just not do it that early in the morning!

Edit:
This is the FB link to the vid.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:25 am

Today I took Bessy out for a run with the eShift interfaced to the Igintech. Yes Dickie, it actually works - just like I imagined! Hold that throttle open and let the igntion module and the shifter do their jobs.

I'd programmed the shift light for only 5,000rpm for the test and although Bess isn't running that well, I proved that the whole system works. For some reason I got a couple of double shifts when changing up from third. That is, I got 3rd to 4th and then 4th to 5th straight after. Not sure if there's a clean signal coming out of the Ignitech or if it's happening at my end. I debounce all input signals at 30ms, but maybe I need a guard timer around this signal to prevent spurious changes when the engine speed is close to the change point. Need some hysteresis. You're not really going to make another upshift in less than what? A second?

Got two missed changes on 1st to 2nd though. I'll re-learn this change and see if it improves things or it may require a pause after reaching the travel setpoint before returning the lever to its home position. A manual change wouldn't release the gearlever as fast as I'm doing it with the eShift servo and it will be easy to add a short delay state into the shifter state machine. I'll start with 100ms. Might have some impact on the spurious change issue mentioned above too.

Also, got the preselect down-shift nicely set up. Just hit the down button and then clutch-and-blip as you used to, sans gearlever operation. Quite smooth once the sense magnet and reed-switch operating point matches the clutch take-up point.

I'll take another vid on my next test run, this time with a second camera on the tank, looking at the dash and switches. Maybe tomorrow...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky

Post by dicky » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:58 pm

it actually works - just like I imagined!
Was there ever any doubt?
Good to hear that it's progressing well. The few minor issues will iron out.
Also nice weather now, so your timing is perfect.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:07 am

Doubt? Hell Dickie, my life runs on doubt!

Pulled the carbs down this morning to see if there was anything there that would contribute to Bessie's poor running. They were pretty clean - gave the bowls a clean-out, but the needles were some really weird ones. Like barely-tapered nails! Put standard ones in, raised to the richest notch (the lowest on the needle) and put the pod filters on. Also swapped the rubber head-to-carb couplings as they were severely cracked and split with age. Probably a right bastard of a configuration, but she is certainly running a whole lot better. I'll have to revisit this situation and approach it with a more scientific bent. Have another 2 pairs of carbs to play with as well as a set of needles, jets and emulsion tubes that came with the engine I bought from Stu99 some 10+ years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SRMzCEKWRE

Had the shift point set at 4k rpm for verification. Will be heaps better at say 7k5. Also implemented that 100ms hold during the shift and re-learned the 1st to 2nd shift. Not dropping out there any more.

(Oh and never mind the eedjut who didn't notice the sidestand down!)
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky

Post by dicky » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 am

The automatic shift looked seamless.
I can't wait to see you on the track with the shift signal set to 7500.
I have some standard needles I can measure if you need to get a reference.
I found the standard ones worked best. The dynojet/factory pro jets are rubbish, they never had TRX's in the 'States to be able to tune one.
Mid notch should work better than lowest.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 pm

Thanks Dicky,

appreciate the feedback.
I'm ok with carby bits thanks, have 2 spare sets and all of these goodies from Stu:
https://gdurl.com/RIH2
Have set the change point to 7k5 and hope to get out for a WOT test this arvo. Will bung up a vid if I get out.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:14 am

Golly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8820juBO_mo
Apologies for the sloppy editing that put the PiP over the speedo.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky

Post by dicky » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am

That is awesome.
Eleventyseven different shades of awesome.
A whole metric shit ton of awesome.
So awesome you could make awesome sauce out of it.
Excellent work.

Now, can you hook something up to my tractor and chainsaw so that they drive down to the end of the farm and cut up that massive Yellow Box for me?
dicky
OOOSDC #5