Maxxis SuperMaxx Diamond for road use?

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Maxxis SuperMaxx Diamond for road use?

Post by arrivisto » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 pm

When I bought my TRX, it was 10 years old, but had only 1,500 km on the clock. It had been kept and polished in a garage for years by a non-riding owner. I got the bike, changed the oil and battery, and went on a trip from the UK to Magny Cours in France. I hadn't appreciated that the 10-year old tyres might be a bit hard, so had a few tricky moments!

On my return I fitted a pair of Diablo Road tyres. When the back wore out, I tried a Diablo Sport, but that just wore out faster, with no seeming benefit. By this time the front also needed replacing, so I went back to a pair of Diablo Roads. I've had no problem with these tyres, but perhaps the grass is greener on the other side ....

So I'm thinking of trying some Maxxis SuperMaxx Diamonds. I commute 3 days a week to Liverpool (round trip each day 120 miles), so I need something that won't wear out too fast, but I'd like a tyre with a bit of feel and some wet grip. I'm no spring chicken, but I still ride reasonably fast.

Has anyone had any experience of SuperMaxx Diamonds on a TRX, please?

SDN
Site Sponsor

Re: Maxxis SuperMaxx Diamond for road use?

Post by SDN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 pm

No but I have used Dunlop road smarts which had good grip and wear and am now on Michelin Road piot 3s which are also very good on wear and grip - pricey mind

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 am

I have no idea if this will be any use at all, but here goes...

I've used the sports compound on a TRX and an FZR4/6 and they were brilliant and I've had the 'old' touring compound on an SZR660 and the same tyres are now on my DT200WR supermoto, and they're also good tyres. I haven't tried the diamond pattern but I would be happy to put them on my bikes if the other two types are anything to go by.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I `ve also heard a lot of good reports about them, don`t really last too long but grip and stabilty are very good. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for your comments. I'll give them a try.

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:37 pm

The TRX passed its MoT, revealing that I'd done 5,100 miles since last year. I'd had new Pirelli Diablo Roads fitted front & rear. Front is still barely worn, while the real has another 1,000 miles to go before replacement. When the time comes I'll put on another Pirelli on the rear , so as to match the front, and then next year I'll try a set of Maxxis Diamonds.

osbxrt
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by osbxrt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Hopefully Maxxis will make Diamonds in TRX tyre sizes by then.

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:48 pm

osbxrt wrote:Hopefully Maxxis will make Diamonds in TRX tyre sizes by then.
Well spotted! I'd just presumed they did already!

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:56 pm

osbxrt wrote:Hopefully Maxxis will make Diamonds in TRX tyre sizes by then.
Hi Osbxrt, welcome to the site!
Cal

FluroFury
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by FluroFury » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:31 pm

I've had the TRX over ten years now and there was a stage shortly after I bought it that I was going thru' a set of tyres approx every 3 months.Throughout this time I have tried all sorts of brands and styles.
I would say you are wasting time and money puting high end grippy road race tyres on a TRX. Go for a sports touring compound. The little bit of grip you lose will never present a problem (who here has lost the back end of their TRX?) and will be more than returned with NOT having to ride around on bald sports tyres because you don't have the funds/time right now to change them!
I have allways found the Bridgestone sports tourers to be a very versatile and forgiving tyre, but most brands will do.
One thing I have found though is that fitting the commonly available 170 rear (most 600cc sports bikes have them) is no problem if you go for a higher profile front (the standard 50 is way too low). Also, go for the most rounded profile you can find as the TRX really benefits from settled entry into corners.
Fluro

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:57 pm

You can get the diamond tyres in TRX sizes-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=m ... iamond+160

:D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:17 pm

FluroFury wrote:I've had the TRX over ten years now and there was a stage shortly after I bought it that I was going thru' a set of tyres approx every 3 months.Throughout this time I have tried all sorts of brands and styles.
I would say you are wasting time and money puting high end grippy road race tyres on a TRX. Go for a sports touring compound. The little bit of grip you lose will never present a problem (who here has lost the back end of their TRX?) and will be more than returned with NOT having to ride around on bald sports tyres because you don't have the funds/time right now to change them!
I have allways found the Bridgestone sports tourers to be a very versatile and forgiving tyre, but most brands will do.
One thing I have found though is that fitting the commonly available 170 rear (most 600cc sports bikes have them) is no problem if you go for a higher profile front (the standard 50 is way too low). Also, go for the most rounded profile you can find as the TRX really benefits from settled entry into corners.
Fluro
Hey Flouro the standard front is a 60 profile. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:29 pm

I recently put some diamonds on. Tuesday night as it happens run them in for 100km and give them a bit more stick had knee down a few times now on the road and not a problem much better than the bt014's I've just took off. I would recommend and go for the 120/70 or 120/65 the 70 has made my bike feel so much better. Just need a jack up kit for the back tho. Snarling the edges out and curling on the tread and I've done about 500km on them now. Full tank weds, and a full tank through her today. Fairly sticky I should think if you was easy on the tyres you would get a fair few miles.

Edit: just to add I got an email through weds, busters is doing pilot sports for 154 a set at the moment. Cracking deal. I paid 160 for the diamond fitted
Double the fun if your riding twins! Shame her sister doesn't think so.

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 pm

FluroFury wrote:Also, go for the most rounded profile you can find as the TRX really benefits from settled entry into corners.
Fluro
A late response! I'm on my second TRX and I recently had Maxxis Diamonds fitted and ... I love them! They really suit me and I feel more confident of them than on any other tyres. I feel safer leaning in corners than I ever did before. The cross-section is NOT rounded, but verging on the triangular. I was a bit reluctant as I had a Triton in the early 1970s with trigonic tyres and they were horrible; but I'd read some positive Diamond reviews and I'm pleased as punch!
Last edited by arrivisto on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:43 pm

I`ve not used them personally but EVERYONE I know who has, has nothing but praise for them apart from they not being particularly `long lived`. There`s the trade off I guess. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES