Who painted my bike?

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

xb9ruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Who painted my bike?

Post by xb9ruk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum so please bear with me if I ask questions that have been answered before. I bought the bike back in June 2011 and have been trying to find out who painted the Cadbury's Boost paint scheme. I contacted Yamaha and they said that the bike was delivered to Yamaha Race School at Cadwell Park who arranged the special paint scheme. The bike was returned to Yamaha with the standard paint scheme so they must have had spare body work. Cadwell Park told me the Yamaha Race School is no longer running and they can't advise me so can anyone help please?
When I got the bike it suffered from a severe misfire on the LHS cylinder after changing plugs and cleaning the K&N filter a mate noticed that the LHS ignition coil was missing the rear mouting bracket as per the RHS, do they break off normally? Anyway a 6" (sorry 150mm) length of wire a couple of crimps and a nut, bolt and washer cured it instantly.
The bike is fitted with ART cans but the mounting straps are badly distorted where can I buy replacements please as ART appear to have folded?
And lastly the LHS passenger footrest should be bolted to a bracket on the frame but this has also fractured is this common?
Many thanks for any help.
Cheers Martin (from Andover martin_johnson@ntlworld.com)
PS Has any one else got a Cadbury's Boost painted bike I need photos of the fairing as mine has been change and I don't know if there are any stickers etc missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Who painted my bike?

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Most of the paint jobs done it the late 90s were done by Dream Machine but your scheme is not the 'race rep'. In fact, I've never seen that style before.

I've heard of coil mounts breaking before - not common but not unusual. And you are right, it's a 6 inch length ;)

As for mounting straps, they are fairly generic and most of the exhaust firms will supply you. And they are easy enough to find on ebay.

Oh, and welcome btw

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Welcome mate.
I've never seen that particular Boost scheme before either. Looks like a bit of a mix of a few styles...?
Yam Race school did use the TRX when it was released, thats true.
Fracture of the pillion peg mount is not that common. Sometimes the frame mount points rust a bit which could lead to a fracture. either that or its been dropped on its side, or the previous owner had a fat missus!

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 pm

ah - seen this one on ebay last year yes? either that or there are more than one trx's with cadburys boost paint schemes kicking about!

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

hi and welcome !
what type of rearsets does your bike have?
they look neat.
cheers
fung
:rr:
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 am

@ Fung - rearsets are Harris items.

@ xb9ruk - pretty sure your paint was done by Mirage, seen a couple of theirs that use that layout for the Boost rep.

Oh yeah, welcome! :wink:
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

xb9ruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by xb9ruk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 pm

coxylaad wrote:ah - seen this one on ebay last year yes? either that or there are more than one trx's with cadburys boost paint schemes kicking about!
Yes bought it back in June last year but was too busy to fix the misfire until the start of December. I've tried Dream Machine but they didn't do it but I'm still working through the replies.
Thanks for responding .
Martin
:thumbup:

xb9ruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by xb9ruk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

fung wrote:hi and welcome !
what type of rearsets does your bike have?
they look neat.
cheers
fung
:rr:
I've no idea as I'm not familiar enough with the bike to know what's right and what's been changed apart from the cans. I'll post a close up when I can get a good photo.
Thanks for responding
Martin

xb9ruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by xb9ruk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 am

NWS870R wrote:@ Fung - rearsets are Harris items.

@ xb9ruk - pretty sure your paint was done by Mirage, seen a couple of theirs that use that layout for the Boost rep.

Thanks for answering a couple of questions. I've looked for Mirage but no luck yet do you know where they are located or have a phone number or website please?

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards

Martin

2TWINS
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by 2TWINS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 pm

On the pillion peg mounting problem; I've just had the same issue on the rhs of my bike. The frame bracket just broke straight out at the bottom taking the weld nuts with the peg hanger with it. Rather than weld anything new to the frame, I ground off the remains of the old one then made a roll-top bracket (internal dia 26mm) to sit over the tube with 2 slots to take the peg hanger. Between the new bracket and frame tube I cut a rubber mount liner out of a pushbike inner tube. As my Scorpion cans apply some decent downwards pressure, then there was no need to pin the new bracket to the frame to stop everything bouncing. The only thing I had to do was shorten the exhaust strap spacer by about 10mm to allow dfor the new offset i.e. old bracket was on the centre line of the frame tube, now it's on the outside.
I'll post a picture if I get chance, perhaps hard to describe without seeing the repair!

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

xb9ruk wrote:
NWS870R wrote:@ Fung - rearsets are Harris items.

Thanks for answering a couple of questions. I've looked for Mirage but no luck yet do you know where they are located or have a phone number or website please?

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards

Martin

I had look for the contact details for Mirage but couldn't find anything either so i can only assume that they are no longer trading?
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:11 am

2TWINS wrote:On the pillion peg mounting problem; I've just had the same issue on the rhs of my bike. The frame bracket just broke straight out at the bottom taking the weld nuts with the peg hanger with it. Rather than weld anything new to the frame, I ground off the remains of the old one then made a roll-top bracket (internal dia 26mm) to sit over the tube with 2 slots to take the peg hanger. Between the new bracket and frame tube I cut a rubber mount liner out of a pushbike inner tube. As my Scorpion cans apply some decent downwards pressure, then there was no need to pin the new bracket to the frame to stop everything bouncing. The only thing I had to do was shorten the exhaust strap spacer by about 10mm to allow dfor the new offset i.e. old bracket was on the centre line of the frame tube, now it's on the outside.
I'll post a picture if I get chance, perhaps hard to describe without seeing the repair!
I'd be interested to see that, the frame rail & hanger bracket on the right hand side of my bike is bent (previous owner crash), i can't get the pipes to line up, they look the same from the back but they're not level from the side

xb9ruk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by xb9ruk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm

2TWINS wrote:On the pillion peg mounting problem; I've just had the same issue on the rhs of my bike. The frame bracket just broke straight out at the bottom taking the weld nuts with the peg hanger with it. Rather than weld anything new to the frame, I ground off the remains of the old one then made a roll-top bracket (internal dia 26mm) to sit over the tube with 2 slots to take the peg hanger. Between the new bracket and frame tube I cut a rubber mount liner out of a pushbike inner tube. As my Scorpion cans apply some decent downwards pressure, then there was no need to pin the new bracket to the frame to stop everything bouncing. The only thing I had to do was shorten the exhaust strap spacer by about 10mm to allow dfor the new offset i.e. old bracket was on the centre line of the frame tube, now it's on the outside.
I'd be very interested in the new mounting arrangement too, a picture paints a thousand word. I've got to get new can mounting straps made up as a previous owner dropped the bike and the RHS strap is well bugg**ed and the manufacturer for the ART cans has gone.

Everyone's responses are being very helpful.

I live in Andover does anyone live near me? Especially any technical owners I'm always keen to chat over problems with a beer in my hand, "but only the one Mrs Wembley" if there's anyone out there that recognises that quote. It's from a TV programme called "On the up[" with Denis waterman!

Sorry tripped back a bit then

Cheers and keep your knees in the breeze.

Martin

2TWINS
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by 2TWINS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Sorry for the delay fella's!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Gix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 am

I did the yamaha race school at Cadwell on a TRX...( thats the reason I now own one)
All the TRX's they had were done in a plain purple colour without any artwork.
They only had one which was painted in Boost livery and that is the one you had your picture taken with at the end of the day.
Instructors on the day were all riding completely stock (standard paint, lights, number plates etc) road ready TRX's.
I was a reasonable standard f600 new era rider at the time and the TRX made an impression on me so much that I said I would own one, one day