My new TRX

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: My new TRX

Post by Homer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 am

Frame is at the powdercoaters, getting done in Dulux signal red :shock: :shock: :shock: Decided to paint the swingarm and a heap of other bits as well in black gloss. Got a tin of VHT black cylinder paint, sprayed a few parts, then baked them in the oven at 200C. Very happy with the durability of the finish, Actually struggled to remove the paint with a wire brush mounted on a bench grinder.Nice gloss too.
Degreased and washed the engine today, and discovered the oil pump cover has been busted and welded. I'll have a look inside in the next few days to see what other surprises are in store. Anyone in Oz got a spare one for sale. Found new TDM cover on ebay in the UK for 20 quid, just waiting to hear back if he'll post to Oz.
Planning to paint the top end black to match the bottom end.
015 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 am

Well, picked up the frame today. Looks good. Have to finish painting a few engine bits and then to start reassembly.
Let the fun begin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 pm

is that a gun holster on the side there :)

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:03 am

No, the exhaust passes through there. Not sure why. Here's a few pictures of the engine, all painted and ready to go in.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:27 pm

:shock: Saves you burning your inner thigh!

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 am

Well the engine is in the frame, and most of the electrics are connected and working. Most, but not all. Still got to get the indicators to fire up, and connect the brake light switches.
The front end has been a major job. I definitely wanted a low front mudguard ala the XTZ750, but the DR650 forks had no mounting points on the fork legs, none whatsoever. So how to mount the low front guard?
Ended up making some clamps out of 3mm aluminium bar, annealing it to allow for easier bending, and fitting it using 6mm high tensile bolts and nuts. Ended up looking like this. Pretty happy with the result, though a major pain in the arse to fit. Actually took four whole days to make and fit these little buggers.
TRX 002.JPG
Next was fitting the 300mm front disc. The front disc needed to be 300mm so I could use the four pot Brembo caliper, except of course no-one makes a 300mm disc that will fit onto my front wheel. I bought a piece of 6mm aluminium plate and cut out a spacer to mount to the wheel which I could bolt the disc to. It also offset the disc by 6mm which helped the caliper clear the spokes.
TRX 004.JPG
Then fitted the Brembo caliper. Combined with the bigger disc, I'm hoping for enough braking to not need to fit a twin disc front end.
TRX 007.JPG

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 am

This is how she looks at the moment. Hoping to get the tank and headlight cowl back from the painters tomorrow, then fit the carbys and polish and fit the pipe.
Nearly there.JPG

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

Good work Homer, you`re getting there, looking really nice. Will Marge be going pillion? :lol:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 am

Geeze Mince, what took you so long???
I can't imagine Marge getting on the back, but you never know. I reckon I've gone overboard with the paint a bit, I don't know how I'll go taking it out on the dirt.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 am

nice work homer.
i used to run a 19' front on my Tenere. i had an RZ guard slung off a GSXR400 fork brace.
killed two birds with one stone.
cheers
fung
8)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am

Well my new muffler arrived today
Muffler.jpg
Looks good hanging off the bike. Still got to fit the pipe, but painting it black first.
Finally got the brake lights working, but the blinkers are doing my head in.
Everytime I turn them on the fuse blows. Trouble is the previous owner cut some wire, removed some bits and generally buggered it all up. I'm stuffed if I know what to do next.
Also still waiting in the headlight cowl to be painted. Hopefully it'll be done this week. Can't wait to get it all together.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am

homer, try the manual in pdf file on the forum. it might help with your wiring.
cheers
fung
8)
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

There must be a live feed from the relay to the bulbs making earth, search the loom using a multi meter on the resistance setting, test it at different points along the loom. :wink:
Alternatively buy some wire (the right colours you want), self amalgamating vinyl tape and make up another additional loom, there`s only two wires to each side of the bike, front and back plus a common earth to worry about.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks Fung, I've already downloaded the manual, but as the wirings been modified (butchered) the manual is of limited use.

Mince, thanks for that. You've given me a clue. Otherwise, I'll follow your suggestion and rewire the entire blinker circuit.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:21 am

Mincehead, your a genious!!! Blinkers fired right up thanks to your suggestion. Electrics sorted, exhaust on, just waiting for the bloody painter now.