My new TRX

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: My new TRX

Post by Homer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 am

Update; Everything takes longer than expected. Fitted the KLR forks, 21 inch front wheel and two pot caliper. The four pot Brembo TRX caliper was just too wide to fit without fouling the spokes. Thought about grinding some meat off the back of the caliper as I've seen done on some Supermoto conversions, but chickened out and rebuilt the KLR Tokino unit instead. Just had to make two 5mm thick axle spacers to allow for the 10mm wider triple clamps. Turns out the dragging front caliper on the original front end was either a crook master cylinder, or brake line. Replaced them both and bled it all and front brake feels really good. Also fitted the KLR 17 inch rear wheel and KLR caliper. This was fun. Had to offset the sprocket 20mm to line up with the countershaft sprocket. Had an extra KLR rear wheel in the shed, so took the spare sprocket carrier off that, cut out the centre with a big holesaw, fitted longer high tensile studs and used it as a spacer for the sprocket and what do you know, it all lines up nicely. I just hope the 80hp the engine produces isn't too much for the longer bolts. Time will tell.
TRX 05.jpg
TRX 08.jpg
Fitting the KLR rear caliper was a bit easier. Just had to make some more spacers to take up the space in the wider TRX swingarm. Luckily the spare KLR rear wheel had a collar inside it that when cut to the right length made perfect spacers. Also used the KLR rear caliper holder and just had to bend the arm that holds the caliper to get it to all line up. Looks pretty neat though I reckon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

Heres a couple more photos of the KLR caliper setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 am

This is how the bike looks now with the spoked wheels and minus the tank and seat. Starting to come together I reckon.
Last edited by Homer on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 am

Decided to remove, check and clean the carby's. PO had removed the hot water pipes from the carbys, and disconnected the drain hoses. After putting it all back together, and hitting the starter button......nothing. Short circuited the relay to the battery and turns over fine, just no joy from the button. Suspect its the starting circuit cut off relay, but as the PO has removed the clutch switch, sidestand switch and neutral cut out switch I'm buggered if I know where to start. Ended up running a new wire from the starter switch block to the relay. Voila, success. Have to run it through the ignition switch when I fit it but should work OK. Put battery on charge overnight as I flattened it testing the starting circuit. Hook it up this morning and not enough grunt to turn the motor over. Bugger it, off to the bike shop for a new battery and $70.00 later she's purring like a kitten. Dying to take it for a spin, but its bloody raining again.

Suppose I could go and fit the headlight, rear guard, taillight and indicators but its freezing in my garage and I'm nice and warm in front of the heater at the moment......theres always tomorrow.

ritza
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by ritza » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:55 am

come on man !! sort yourself out and get that bike in the kitchen :lol:

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 am

Well the TRX build has being making slow but steady progress. I got to the stage where I had to sort out the tank/seat dilemma before I could move on. So, chucked the bike on the trailer, and drove1.5 hours to Metropolitan Motorcycle Wreckers in Silverwater, Sydney. The guys there were really helpful. Let me try a number of tanks on for fit, starting with a yamaha FZ6, looked OK but tank was too long, then a TDM850, no good, then a TRX850 again too long. Now I know why the builder shortened the original tank. Then one of the guys suggested trying a tank off an XJ6 Yamaha. Bingo! Looks great, fitted pretty well, and schmick paintwork and a nice red that I'd be happy to leave as the colour. Result. 17 litre capacity isn't too bad either. Tank didn't include the filler cap but whern I got home discovered the original TRX cap will bolt right in. I'll have to make a plate to bolt over the hole in the bottom where the fuel pump lived, but that's not a big hassle.

Then to the seat. Tried a few different seats without success before trying the seat of the XJ6 were the tank came from.Looks pretty nice, if a bit thin, But most importantly, its a perfect fit up against the tank, and the length is good. If need be I can get the seat re-padded with more foam, or fit a sheepskin or an Airhawk for more comfort.

Picked up a DR600 front wheel at another wrecker on the way home, to replace the Steel rimmed KLR650 unit. Hopefully this will allow me to refit the original DR650 forks as they've got more travel than the KLR forks which were also too soft.

Well anyway I'm really happy with the result. Now to repaint the frame silver, the swingarm black, and the headlight surround to match the tank, and fit black guards and I'm nearly done!!!

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 am

Homer, I've got to hand it to you. When I first saw this come up for sale I thought it such a pity and that it would take a pretty brave man to buy it. What you've done is simply amazing. Congrats!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm

+1 I never thought this story would have a happy ending, but is looking v Good. Will be interested to see it finally painted and to hear how it rides - Amazing

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm

I really like that tank, looking VERY good considering the nail it was when you first got it. WELL DONE Homer! :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm liking that a lot mate, well done :D

Not sure on the headlight fairing, but maybe thats just the colour.

As the TRX motor is externally identical to the XTZ750, maybe you could look at fitting an XTZ750 bashplate?

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 am

I've actually got a bashplate that came on the bike when I got it, its just not fitted in the photo.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 pm

:D Yamaha's answer to the multistrada then! looks good.

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I particularly like that big bore headered high level exhaust system that`s on it too.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 am

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated. I'm nearly done removing the engine so I can get on to painting the frame. After looking at the Ducati Multistrada colour scheme last week, I've decided to go with a red frame. I'll repaint the engine all black and I think it'll all tie in nicely. Picked up a black front guard for a Yammy XTZ660 which will need a couple of brackets made to fit to the DR650 forks. Also spent a day driving around bike shops and wreckers in Newcastle last week and picked up new handlebars, a fuel tap and a black rear mudguard and light. I think I'll fit a pair of red fork boots as well.

I'm undecided about whether to get the frame painted or powdercoated. I'll try to get some quotes today which may help me make up my mind.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:55 am

Well the engines out of the frame and its nearly stripped, ready for the powdercoaters next week. Got to get a bit of welding done first. Gee I wish I had a MIG welder. Maybe Santa will bring me one for xmas. Definitely going to go red for the frame and black for the swingarm.
Frame.JPG
Managed to bust one of the swingarm bearing trying to get it out. Got new ones ordered ready to go in once the swingarms done.

Looking forward to putting it all back together.