My new TRX

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

BBB
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: My new TRX

Post by BBB » Sun May 15, 2011 9:37 am

different, I like it. would make a great supermoto.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 am

The plan is to run the standard wheels with road tyres as a supermoto mount, and run 18" and 21" wheels with off road tyres for some long distance off road trips.

Pulled the front end off to service the fork seals and found the steering head bearings were way too tight. Removed the triple clamps and checked the bearings weren't dry, and retightened the bearings. Discovered the lower triple clamps were from an unknown donor bike. The DR650 41mm forks fit a treat, but the upper triple clamp was the original TRX item and the offset on it was totally different to the lower clamp. Half a day with a file and grinder has it all fitting together as it should.

Also discovered that the DR650 forks seem to have shorter springs fitted to lower the front of the bike. Trouble is when the front wheel leaves the ground, the wheel would drop 4-5 inches until the lower fork legs hit the stops. I'll have to do some sorting out when I get the new seals in to see if I may replace them with the original springs.

Noticed too that the lower end of the engine is black as on the grey imported TRX's but the head barrel and valve cover is grey like on the aussie models. Probably means the engine has been rebuilt using secondhand parts. Still runs well though which is what matters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 pm

More dramas. Turns out the forks aren't from a DR650. The fork tubes are 41mm and the DR650 never used 41mm fork tubes as far as I know. Bit hard to buy new seals when you don't know what forks you've got. Got the builders name from the seller tonight, so I'll give him a call tomorrow to see if he can shed any light.

rick54
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by rick54 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey Homer, its Rick who bought your green TRX a couple of years ago...give me a call at the new Kinny fire station when you get a chance...my mate also has a chook chaser TRX which may give you some ideas for your new one.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Thu May 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Rick, I thought that was you. Told you I was going to get another TRX one day. I can't believe there is another TRX chook chaser out there! What shift are you on?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Thu May 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Homer wrote:More dramas. Turns out the forks aren't from a DR650. The fork tubes are 41mm and the DR650 never used 41mm fork tubes as far as I know. Bit hard to buy new seals when you don't know what forks you've got. Got the builders name from the seller tonight, so I'll give him a call tomorrow to see if he can shed any light.

I think they are Honda forks personally from a moto crosser more likely than a trail bike. By the way, prise those seals out and you`ll find that fork seals generally conform to standard sizes and will likely be carrying dimensions and seal type moulded on them somewhere.
I use this company in the UK for my bearings, seals, o-rings etc:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/oil_seals.php

In fact here you go, 41 mm I/D seals:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index. ... 2a&&page=4

On the left of that first link page you simply enter your seals dimensions then search for the type you need, obviously there are variations on lip type etc too but I`m certain there will be companies in Aus that provide similar services. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:20 am

Thanks for that Mincehead. Spoke to the bikes builder and found out the forks are in fact from a 1991-1993 DR650. Turns out the Techno Flex rear shock is height adjustable so I've dropped the rear end a bit too and shortened the rear mudguard to tidy up the arse end. Looks much better. I'll hopefully get the forks back on tomorrow and take it for another spin.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun May 22, 2011 4:40 am

Having found this it`s certainly looking like those early models up to 93 have forks very like yours, the DR650 was never a big seller in the UK to my knowledge, you certainly don`t see too many around:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml

I stand corrected on those forks. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 am

Can't believe how hard it is to get a set of friggin fork seals!!! Ordered the first set from the local bike shop, by size, and the seals that arrived didn't fit. Ordered a set from New Zealand on ebay for a 90-95 DR650 and they didn't fit either! Ordered a third set from the bike shop, 41 x 54 x 11mm. Hopefully the right size this time. It also turns out the previous owner fitted shorter fork springs to lower the front end. I fitted two aluminium spacers to remove the slop, and may have to fit original fork springs down the track. Rebuilt the Brembo front caliper with new seals and pistons which will hopefully fix the dragging front disc. Can't fit it till I get the forks sorted though.
I've been investigating what tank I can fit to replace the original TRX unit that had been shortened and am leaning toward and early TDM tank and seat combo. May fit the headlight shroud/fairing as well if I can find one at the right price. Lots of plans, should be fun.
Last edited by Homer on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Homer wrote:
TRX 02.jpg
Erm... Yes, I saw that on eBay... er... good price... :?:

Well, good luck! [-o<

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Very good price. The Technoflex rear shock cost more than I paid for the whole bike! Somebody has spent plenty to get it to this stage.

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 am

Things are progressing slowly. Having dramas with a sticky front brembo caliper, and hard to get fork seals. Forks are sorted, finally. Caliper isn't. Suspect brake line could be the culprit. Just to complicate matters, a mate of a mate has offered me a complete Kawasaki KLR650 less motor. Planning to use the wheels, seat and whatever else I can on the beast. Maybe swap the front caliper and/or forks as well. Of course all this happened after I bought a rear wheel and a pile of bits on ebay!

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Well, took delivery of the KLR650 tonight. Frame, forks,wheels and brakes only really. Bit of luck that the forks are 41mm the same as the current DR650 forks. Might well be easier to swap the whole front end over if the brakes work OK. I'll have a good look tomorrow including whether the back wheel is going to fit.

zed6
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by zed6 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:41 pm

DTR-X thats as mad as fook!!!!

love it!!
Sanity..... It`s over-rated!!!!!!

Homer
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Homer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks Zed, when its finished I reckon it'll be rather unique. Fitted the KLR forks and wheel this morning. Pretty simple job, just has to make 2 x 5mm spacers for the axle. Have to decide whether to try and fit the Brembo caliper to the Klr forks, or persevere with the Klr Tokino caliper. The Brembo is a four piston caliper, the Tokino only two so thinking the Brembo might be a better option. I'll post a few pics when I get the Klr back wheel fitted.