The clutch goes bang 900 clicks from home

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Olputt
Site Sponsor

The clutch goes bang 900 clicks from home

Post by Olputt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:54 am

The clutch goes bang 900 clicks from home.

Riding back from the Island on Monday after one of the best weekends of racing and weather in recent years and the clutch goes BANG! CRUNCH! SIEZE! in Morwell. Now if you know where Morwell is and you know where Sydney is then you know how I’m feeling at this point. To add to the mix Helena was with me and had not yet had her morning coffee. There were not a lot of smiles on offer and as the hire car options started drying up one by one, things were looking grim. (Note – there are no hire car outfits in Morwell the closest is Traralgon and they all want extortionist relocation charges for one way hire to Sydney) We looked into storage (nope) train (nope) by this stage the day was starting to suck BIG TIME!

Traralgon Yamaha to the rescue.
After exhausting all options for getting riders and bike home I relinquished and called the bike shop in Traralgon. (my opinion of bike shops is about to change) They sent a Ute to recover my bike and take it back to the work shop. (free of charge). The mechanic found a second hand clutch basket and bolts in his mates back shed then cleaned out all the ground up bits of metal and springs, broken bolts etc. Then he installed the new bits and bolts, new springs etc. and a bit of silastic for good measure. 5 hours later and $120 for the clutch basket and other bits + 1 hour labor and we were singing “ON THE ROAD AGAIN” and feeling like there really is an angel up there.

Oh Yeah and the mechanic who would have to be one of the best blokes I’ve ever come across lent me his 06 model R1 with flowed heads and some tasty carbon pipes, so we could toddle off into town for lunch at the pub :D .

The moral of the story – Don’t over tightened clutch spring retaining bolts. I had checked the plates 25k ago and tightened the bolts without using a torque wrench. The result was stretched bolts that finally gave way.

The other moral would be “If you have to break down – do it in Traralgon”

THANK YOU TRARALGON YAMAHA!

sherlock
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sherlock » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:40 am

I could guarentee if the "pillion in a million' was there to flutter her lashes, then you'd still be hitching a ride.....don't you just luv a happy ending.

Can i also suggest you write a letter to TW, Nick, good shops are far and few between.
elementary my dear.....

Olputt
Site Sponsor

Post by Olputt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:03 am

sherlock wrote:Can i also suggest you write a letter to TW, Nick, good shops are far and few between.
What you are reading is the first draft of a letter to MCN :wink:

brinx
TRX-Enthusiast

Lucky

Post by brinx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:53 pm

Good to hear you got home in one piece olputt.As in you r missus did,nt kill you.

Olputt
Site Sponsor

Re: Lucky

Post by Olputt » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 am

brinx wrote:Good to hear you got home in one piece olputt.As in you r missus did,nt kill you.
Not sure I portrayed my girl in the right light. She may have been lacking smiles due to an acute case of caffeine withdrawal but otherwise she was a rock, taking it upon herself to gather local info and one by one call each hire-car outfit in Traralgon. She queued and shouted for breakfast and did not complain once about the situation. I could not ask for a better woman in my corner.

mickjmag
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mickjmag » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:11 am

What a shame I dont live in morwell anymore! Moved from there in july to sunny brisbane, could have got you fixed up at the best and cheapest bike gurus in gippsland, Morwell kawasaki, yeah I know evil brand and all but bloody super guys, got all my work done there at crazy low prices.
Traralgon yamaha have been a real Gem for years, unlike some yamaha dealers around the country they actually know what their on about, good to hear they gave you the best of service!!
All hail the little country guys :)