Prospective buyer brain picks

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

GaryD
TRX-Enthusiast

Prospective buyer brain picks

Post by GaryD » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi, new to the forum & prospective buyer.

A bike I'm interested in has a burst pad at the back of the seat.... 'bumpad' ? I assume not uncommon. Should the whole thing be removable & fixable? DIY or Upholstery skills required? Or full replacement?

The top yoke has been messed-with....are there any other bikes yokes that look good as replacement? It has standard forks.

And what is the service interval for valve clearance checks please?

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Prospective buyer brain picks

Post by Tarwetijger » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 pm

GaryD wrote:Hi, new to the forum & prospective buyer.

A bike I'm interested in has a burst pad at the back of the seat.... 'bumpad' ? I assume not uncommon. Should the whole thing be removable & fixable? DIY or Upholstery skills required? Or full replacement?

The top yoke has been messed-with....are there any other bikes yokes that look good as replacement? It has standard forks.

And what is the service interval for valve clearance checks please?
Welcome to the forum!
Bumpad, yes very common. DIY or pro - it’s up to you. Easy to get it off from the inside of the rear fairing.

Valve clearance; officialy 42.000 km but better to look after it sooner.

Fitting an other top yoke, not a different model that I know off. You could try to get a decent second hand?

GaryD
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by GaryD » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:03 pm

Ok, thanks T.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:52 am

Only other issue with valve clearance is the 95 Japanese imports and 96model TRX had an issue with inlet valves and would need replacing at 60-80,000km. 97 model onwards had revised inlet valves that no longer deformed .
laughter is the best medicine

GaryD
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by GaryD » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:10 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Only other issue with valve clearance is the 95 Japanese imports and 96model TRX had an issue with inlet valves and would need replacing at 60-80,000km. 97 model onwards had revised inlet valves that no longer deformed .

It is a '97, so hopefully ok.

It's recent MOT test has an advisory, - Rear Suspension arm pin, bush or joint worn. Owner says he doesn't know. Swingarm? 36k miles. Diy or professional fix? How long would a bike shop take to fix it?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 pm

With the salt on your roads there is a good chance where the bearings sit on the bush there is corrosion.
Not that hard a fix and lift the rear of the bike off the ground via a ratchet strap to a point above.
Remove the rear wheel, remove the dog bones bolt from the swingarm. Remove the swingarm pin and the swingarm for inspection.
Search the forum as there is a list of replacement bearings and seals and much cheaper than buying genuine Yamaha bearings. Bit of luck the outside of the bush where the bearings sits will clean up ok with some wet n dry.
Repack the new bearings and some inside the sleeve or axle pin with decent grease
laughter is the best medicine