Keeping the TRX again!

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Keeping the TRX again!

Post by Bucko » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:18 am

I’ve done it again, gone to a bike shop and seen all the shiny new models and decided it’s time to swap to something a little more modern, haven’t got the space or cash to run two bikes so the TRX would have to go! I booked a test ride on a large capacity GT bike, 170HP, loads of torque, full of electronic gizmos, looks great, went for an hours mixed road test ride but came back feeling slightly underwhelmed by the experience. No doubt it was a fine bike, but without riding it beyond my limit and probably risking my licence was it all a bit too much? As for the electronics, rider modes, TFT dash etc I’m not sure once I’d set them to my preference I’d ever alter them again. I know it’s nice to have the option but feel maybe just ride around different road or weather conditions with your wrist! Got back on my bike to ride home and it felt like an old 125 GP bike, tiny, low and narrow but not in a bad way, tempted to keep it now and spend some cash in the winter fully sorting the forks and rear shock,new tyres,maybe a smaller rear sprocket for more relaxed cruising, it’s pulling 4000 rpm at only 60+ mph, maybe a comfier seat and better mirrors. Has anyone got any good tips for making touring a bit more comfortable, it’s fine on smaller roads but motorways are a pain, I know I can avoid them sometimes but not on every journey. Also has anyone else had a similar experience when riding a newer bike or is it just me?

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Keeping the TRX again!

Post by jpe70 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Pretty much sums it up. :lol:

Nah, new bikes are better. But that is part of a problem, they are too far removed from what you are allowed to ride without risking jail so it tends to get boring. IMHO

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:06 am

Fortunately I've got just enough space for a few bikes so I love to mix things up a bit and love riding them all. Recently added an MT-10 which is the only one with all of the modern stuff. There's the TRX of course, plus a Bandit 1200 (does everything and goes anywhere) which I've had for 10 years, a moped from 67 and I've almost completed the rebuild/modification of a GPZ305 which I bought in 93. All very different :D :D

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi Bucko!

Haven't ridden an up-to-date bike so far.

However, looking at the dimensions, the weight and the crazy number of HP and - especially - the "smartphone" they put in front of you instead of some instruments, I think I can fully agree to your experience.
That's what I would expect when riding such a ... "bike". #-o

Consequently, I save myself from such an experience. [-X

Maybe it's just a prejudice, but that's what I hear from a lot of people trying modern bikes.

As to the improvements you're looking for:

Forks: I can recommend a fork of a Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat. Fits almost plug'n play, only washers for the brake calipers are needed and, IIRC, a different one for the axle.

Rear shock: An overhaul gives you a better than new one and is not pricey

Gearing: 17/42 is my preferred ratio on the road except for the motorways. Then again, if you stay under 200 km/h also on motorways.

Touring comfort: Rise the handle bars and/or exchange the LH and the RH side. Lots of information about that on here. Easier and cheaper than mounting a so called "superbike" handle bar.

Mirrors: The ones of a Suzuki SV 650 / 1000 fit in the TRX reception foot with some washers, look good and give you a good look behind you.

"Wishing you ongoing fun with your TRX"-greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:29 pm

As mentioned raise the clip ons up to the top of the forks but I’d advise against flipping the bars and swapping left for right . Ergonomics will create more problems than its worth. May feel better when you first try it but it rolls your shoulders inwards and with most TRX owners in the over 40’s bracket your rotor cuffs won’t appreciate it.
laughter is the best medicine

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Hi Bucko, your thoughts sums up just how good of a formula the TRX is, a great all round bike.The basic spec’s of a motorcycle still remain as they were pre this century,once the visor is down and your on the move the TRX feels part of you,if Mr Yamaha offered a similar new bike with a few more cubes to the motor would you be interested?

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 am

Bucko wrote:Also has anyone else had a similar experience when riding a newer bike or is it just me?
Yep, and no it is not just you.

Modern bikes are like my Ford car: so good it tend to get boring.

I'm thinking of selling my '07 Daytona 675 trackbike as I am hardly any faster on it then with the TRX. :roll:

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:42 am

Good idea Robert, sell the Daytona and spend a couple of extra$$$ on the motor for the trx to go faster... lol
laughter is the best medicine

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:22 pm

I was lucky enough to inherit some money a couple of years ago so l bought an xsr900 & fitted a velocity moto LC bodykit. it looks great & is nice to ride but is also taller than it looks, the seat is just as uncomfortable as the TRX plank & the windblast over 80 is terrible .Apart from anything else is doesn't "grab" me like my TRX does I don't play with the riding modes or other tech though the brakes with abs are great. Ultimately I don't think I can justify owning when it doesn't give the same satisfaction as my TRX.