burning oil

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

zakisbak
TRX-Enthusiast

burning oil

Post by zakisbak » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am

Is it normal for a trx 850 to burn oil?

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Re: burning oil

Post by HolerTogni » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:05 am

Yes.
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:06 am

(for more detailed information a more detailed question would be good

Explaining greets from Munich!)
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:27 am

Burn oil, no.
Use oil, yes.
Like many other Yamaha's of that time the TRX will use oil when ridden hard.
If its just putting around town or commuting then you should not see any usage between services, but if you go for a blat through the twisties on the weekend then you could easily blow a litre out the exhaust and crankcase breather.
It's not burning it, just blowing it away. No one ever saw blue smoke out of the back of a hard ridden FZR or TRX!
You might find a puddle in the airbox if the crankcase breather is still connected to it, but be careful as this could simply be the result of overfilling, which is very easily done.
I used to carry a litre of oil with me when I was away for a fast weekend in the hills. It was the same on my earlier FZR600. I considered it the 'fun tax' and was happy enough to pay it.
These days I can make 5 litres of Motul 5100 last 4 years :(
dicky
OOOSDC #5

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:15 am

As per the above.. they use oil, mostly on country side blasts & motorway journeys. Between 0.5l & 1l of oil per 1000km.. anything more than that will require a top end rebuild.

Been using Halfords 10w40 semi synthetic for over 10years & it suits the bike well.. replacing it every year (or 3000km or so) + filter for good care so look out for that on your bike hunt. :wink:

zakisbak
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by zakisbak » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks for informative replies.
A prospective seller said it burns oil,"they all do" so I was just checking it out.

Another prospective bike has a slipping 2nd gear (for 12 years apparently) and the owner just shifts up through to 3rd;if ridden slow it's ok,but moderate to hard it slips,like clutch slip,but just in 2nd.
Possibly selecter thingy?

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 am

zakisbak wrote:Thanks for informative replies.
A prospective seller said it burns oil,"they all do" so I was just checking it out.

Another prospective bike has a slipping 2nd gear (for 12 years apparently) and the owner just shifts up through to 3rd;if ridden slow it's ok,but moderate to hard it slips,like clutch slip,but just in 2nd.
Gears can't slip...they can jump out of gear into a false neutral, this can be due to a worn or bent selector or overly worn teeth, but not slip. Any internal slippage is due to the clutch.
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:40 pm

zakisbak wrote:Thanks for informative replies.

Likely worn dog tooths on the gear sprockets. Shifting without cluth for a prolonged time and often missing will wear theese down so gear sprockets will not stick together under load. Never heard of it on a TRX, very common on some years Suzuki GSXR or race bikes from before quickshifter times. Not model specific so would back away from that one.