I had a spill, now for repairs

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

00mike00
TRX-Enthusiast

I had a spill, now for repairs

Post by 00mike00 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:33 am

Hi gang, I know I rarely post here these days but as a fair weather rider now, my old girl doesn't ask for much.
I came off the bike on a wat mossy road (a stream flows over it) totally unexpected and sadly unavoidable.
I have on the bike a set of Coerce rears sets and now the left hand side gear change leaver and main bracket are bent. As they are cast aliuminium, my guess is they would snap if I attempt to bend them back. Any tips?
I may have to replace but from a brief look online, I can't pick up a replacement set :cry:

Other damage;
Front fairing LH side cracks x3 - being sent to local bodyshop
Belly pan scrapes and one small crack - bodyshop again
R&G bar end crash bobbin - to be replaced
LH side indicator scratched - may replace

As you can tell I came away with minimal damage, rear end is fine. I think I may change the factor indicators all round. What tasteful replacements do people fit these days?

Thanks all

00mike00
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: I had a spill, now for repairs

Post by 00mike00 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am

Something I said? :(

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Hi 00mike00!

Bending of an aluminium part should not end in having two aluminium parts when using a hot-air gun prior to bending.

But not guaranteeing greets from Munich!

PS:
As to the indicators I prefer such with short arms at the rear and even no* arms at the front - but big light emitting area, i.e., no mini indicators.
*saves the fairing from damage due to the indicators snapping it when the bike is tired and lying on its side ...
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

00mike00
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by 00mike00 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 pm

HolerTogni wrote:Hi 00mike00!

Bending of an aluminium part should not end in having two aluminium parts when using a hot-air gun prior to bending.

But not guaranteeing greets from Munich!

PS:
As to the indicators I prefer such with short arms at the rear and even no* arms at the front - but big light emitting area, i.e., no mini indicators.
*saves the fairing from damage due to the indicators snapping it when the bike is tired and lying on its side ...
Thank you sir. Having spoken to a good friend and mechanic, he suggested the same. He said sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I'm crossing my fingers!

I agree with the indicator aesthetic. I like the brightness but having a lower profile. Would you have any suggestions?
Thanks again :wink:

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed May 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi 00mike00!

The indicators I have, i.e., the previous owner has, mounted on the fairing about 20 years ago are of this kind and Louis is selling them even nowadays.

The rear indicators on my bike are not available anymore from Louis, but are somewhat similar to that one - ordinary indicators, no fancy design. I don't want my "followers" have to guess where my indicators are.

Don't know whether they or similar ones are available in your country, but I guess so.

Recommending greets from Munich!

PS: Good luck with the hot-air gun!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the tumble, especially now that the "restriction" have been lifted! It's riding time now.
The simple answer for the alloy parts is, that it's unlikely that it will be able to be straightened without inducing more stress cracks, You may be lucky with high heat and some delicate persuasion. The general rule with all alloys is, milled or cast will bend but unless heat treated back to an annealed condition can't be successfully straightened. There should be industrial/commercial heat treatment companies that can do this for you, if you know anyone that works in the aviation industry they should be able to point you in the right direction.
As for using a hot air gun, the alloy won't get hot enough to be able to be bent with out developing more stress cracks...but please prove me wrong!!
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

00mike00
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by 00mike00 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:54 am

HolerTogni wrote:Hi 00mike00!

The indicators I have, i.e., the previous owner has, mounted on the fairing about 20 years ago are of this kind and Louis is selling them even nowadays.

The rear indicators on my bike are not available anymore from Louis, but are somewhat similar to that one - ordinary indicators, no fancy design. I don't want my "followers" have to guess where my indicators are.

Don't know whether they or similar ones are available in your country, but I guess so.

Recommending greets from Munich!

PS: Good luck with the hot-air gun!
Yes the low profile for the front would be nice, I guess as long as they are bright enough for other road users. The front are most important.
As for the rear, they look pretty good, like factory but perhaps smaller? I can't compare off the top of my head with the dimensions given.

My front fairing and belly pan are in the body shop now but I fear I have to lose the front decals on the fairing.
I found oem side TRX decals but not the front grey faded to black :cry:

00mike00
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by 00mike00 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 am

Rod.s wrote:Sorry to hear about the tumble, especially now that the "restriction" have been lifted! It's riding time now.
The simple answer for the alloy parts is, that it's unlikely that it will be able to be straightened without inducing more stress cracks, You may be lucky with high heat and some delicate persuasion. The general rule with all alloys is, milled or cast will bend but unless heat treated back to an annealed condition can't be successfully straightened. There should be industrial/commercial heat treatment companies that can do this for you, if you know anyone that works in the aviation industry they should be able to point you in the right direction.
As for using a hot air gun, the alloy won't get hot enough to be able to be bent with out developing more stress cracks...but please prove me wrong!!
Thank you for the information Rod. I do remember this from my days as an engineer. I will attempt to straighten this weekend with my mechanic and I'll report back.