servicing the trx

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

boyso20
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by boyso20 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:44 pm

just ordered a new pattern cable for £10

with great difficultly and a little bit of pain, i managed to get a fat finger behind the clocks to undo the cable.
thankfully for me it was already loose!!

boyso20
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by boyso20 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:12 pm

well just to let you all know, my TRX is sorted.
it had a full engine service today...
oil,filter,air filter,valve clearances,carbs cleaned,plugs,coolant flush and quick chain adjustment.
It feels GREAT, no snatch, power restored, gear changes lovely and quiet, just purring as she ticks over..
this was done for £300, and i'm quiet happy with that, but even happier to be told that even with 82000kms on the clock the engine seems to be in very good shape. Good old trx
One advisory was to change the inlet manifold rubbers sometime down the track.
Does anyone know about these? I was quoted £125 to replace them, which seems alittle steep to me even though i just spent £300 on a service!

also fitted a new speedo cable today, everything sorted, just looking for some blue spots and i'll be chuffed!

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:57 am

Were they talking about the rubber boots that hold the carbs to the head? £125 seems very steep to me but I guess that nobody does patterns of these so you have the choice of either paying Yamaha or trying to buy second hand (most likely attached to a set of carbs!)

earywig
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by earywig » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:05 pm

I've just contacted Flitwick motorcycles to enquire about the carb rubbers between the cylinder head and the carbs as I needed a new pair myself - price is £8.93 each, part number is 3LD1359701.

Sounds like your servicing company have factored in the fitting charge :shock: . At that price you'd be better doing the job yourself.

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm

earywig wrote:I've just contacted Flitwick motorcycles to enquire about the carb rubbers between the cylinder head and the carbs as I needed a new pair myself - price is £8.93 each, part number is 3LD1359701.

Sounds like your servicing company have factored in the fitting charge :shock: . At that price you'd be better doing the job yourself.
Blimey, that's a hell of a fitting charge.

Seriously it would be hard to take an hour to do that job.

I'll do it for £100. :D

boyso20
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by boyso20 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:51 pm

yeah SOUNDS like a simple job, and £125 seems steep.
anybody attempted this before?

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:17 pm

It's reasonably straight forward: Nothing too complicated but a fair bit of workt:

1. Tank off (or hinged forward)
2. Airbox off
3. Carbs off
4. Rubbers off
5. Reverse of above.

Hardest part getting carbs off the rubbers I found was finding a long enough phillips screwdriver to get to the clamp rings on the rubbers.

Dave

boyso20
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by boyso20 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:43 pm

right then, sounds like a bit of work.
what is affected (running wise) when these rubbers are due for replacement?
will i know or notice when its time to replace them?

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:51 pm

The main problem is when the rubber perishes and cracks. This allows the engine to draw air through the cracks in the rubber creating all sorts of problems due to the resulting lean mixture. Rough idling, poor engine response, banging on the overun, running hot, running on one then chiming in on both etc, etc. They're so cheap to replace I'd do it now - it'll take about an hour and is not a difficult job even for a novice mechanic. Just watch you don't drop anything down the intake ports when she's opened up! :oops:

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:32 am

It's not a difficult job and as has been said should take less than an hour even for someone who has never touched a spanner before

If I were you I'd be in to see the owner / manager of the garage and ask him to explain how the hell they think they can justify over £100 of labour.

When I was rejetting my bike the carbs (be they the original CVs or the FCRs) were always be taken off - I reckon I could change the boots in less than 20 minutes!