Shrinking Tyre Choice

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Shrinking Tyre Choice

Post by spiritedride » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 pm

I've been using Michelin sport tyres for the last 10 years ( currently power rs ), but looking at their size lists recently it seems that TRX sizes have dissapeared,both front and rear.Went searching on other major brands and it seems to be a similar story.The agility of the TRX has a lot to do with its tyre sizing,but it seems that current sport tyre designs are no longer an option. Using tyre advancement is how older bikes can still keep you enjoying current performance levels.Looks like i have to start searching for the" Next Best" Tyre Choice.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Shrinking Tyre Choice

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 pm

Both 120/70 and 160/60 are very common sizes, I don't really see the problem here?
You shouldn't use the original fitted 120/60 front anyway.
Or maybe it is something local. I can find the RS and RS+ in 160/60/17 online and could order them if I wanted to.
If you think this is bad, try finding tyres for a FZR600 with 18" rear wheel. :D

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 am

Hi Tarwetijger, I can imagine 18 inch tyre choices are decreasing, and are probably older designs,and that's my concern with the TRX sizes in the coming years. I have tried a 70 profile front ( lowered the front end 12mm to compensate ) but much prefer the 60 profile for the type of riding I do,so front tyre choice is limited.Seems now that mid capacity sport bikes use a 180 rear (even the MT07) so the demand for 160 sport focused tyres is decreasing.What may happen in the coming years is that new sport tyre designs wont include TRX sizing and will only be available in touring focused tyres, The 160-60 rear and 120-60 front make the TRX a very agile mount. Cheers from Aussie Land.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Well, on the other hand todays touring focused tyres perform better than sport tyres did 15 years ago so there should be time still. Heck, Pilot Road and the like was good enough for knee down already 8 or so years ago... :wink:

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi jpe70, I see your point that touring focused tyres have evolved through the years, what I am becoming aware of is that TRX front and rear sets in the sport category are becoming fewer.I found a 2012 Michelin chart which had 4 designs listed in the sport category,they all included TRX front and rear sizes ( at that time I was probably using the power pure ).It's a different story today across most brands with 120-60 all but gone and 160-60 becoming limited.While I have been simply ordering and enjoying the latest sport tyres the " shrinking tyre choice " has been slowly happening.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 am

Dunlop have a few sports options in their Q3+ and Alpha series in a 120/60 and Pirelli Diablo .
Quite enjoyed the Q3+ on the R6 rims.
The std TRX rims had a pair of Pirelli GT with a 60 series front and I was quite surprise how they took my abuse :lol:
I enjoyed the feel and feedback all be it primarily a touring tyre.

End of the day it come to personal choice in tyres.
Was a Michelin man but swayed to Dunlop’s over the past 5 yrs but I’m thinking maybe give the corsa 2’s a go.
laughter is the best medicine

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm

The Feel and Feedback as you describe it Cobba is exactly what draws me to the 60 profile front,combined with the 160-60 rear it makes the TRX much more agile than its steering geometry and wheelbase figures would suggest. And as I see 60 profile fronts not included in sizing lists of new sport tyres it "shrinks the choice " of what to fit. Q3+ may just be it.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:33 pm

I know what you mean by the feel of the 60 series. Once your used to it’s characteristics.
laughter is the best medicine

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Out of curiosity, a quick look yielded Pirelli Rosso 3, Metzeler M7RR and Conti SportAttack4. All good for reasonably fast laps on track without wearing out on the way there. But yes, they do clearly limit what model get the 120/60 dimension, it's not 4 diffent ones anymore. Not that surprised though, 60 front profile was a fairly short lived thing around the century, a bit like 16-inch fronts but not quite as limiting. The higher 70 has physical advantages and the agility is better (less limiting) achieved with geometry changes.

Personally I much prefer the 120/70 due to its bigger contact patch when leaned over and it's more consistent leaning behavior, so I've been running it since the first tyre change with bike geometry adjusted instead. But that's me and I'm a fairly mainstream non agressive type... :roll:
spiritedride wrote:Hi jpe70, I see your point that touring focused tyres have evolved through the years, what I am becoming aware of is that TRX front and rear sets in the sport category are becoming fewer.I found a 2012 Michelin chart which had 4 designs listed in the sport category,they all included TRX front and rear sizes ( at that time I was probably using the power pure ).It's a different story today across most brands with 120-60 all but gone and 160-60 becoming limited.While I have been simply ordering and enjoying the latest sport tyres the " shrinking tyre choice " has been slowly happening.

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm

For me this is coming back to Tarwetijgers situation of sourcing a rear for his FZR600,as time passes the once available rubber disappears.Like many of us I'm a mainstream , non aggressive type also JPE; Till we hit the TRX start button and punish the rubber.