General feel of TRX850 as first big bike

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

scottsheerins
TRX-Enthusiast

General feel of TRX850 as first big bike

Post by scottsheerins » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello all... or few...

I am a new member of this forum site and thought it be about time I ask the questions I have built up over the last few months silently watching and stalking the forums into the dead of night.

So I live in the UK and currently hold an A2 licence, this brings me to my first question... Would the TRX be suitable for restricting to A2 power? ~45hp.

The other questions I have hold no bearing on A2 friendliness or not as a TRX is likely my first choice of 2nd bike.

What is general "keeping it on the road" maintenance for the TRX? Chain adjustments, Oil level and regular changes... what else? I saw some topics about valves and re shimming them every 8k miles? Is there any other things like a Ducati's timing belts adjustment type thing to be aware of?

Are there any specific weak points of the TRX? Apart from corrosion and rust.

If I was to have this bike it would not get ridden often, if it is A2 friendly it would be ridden only a handful of times over the winter as I am at university far away from home, does the TRX handle being shored up for a few months ok? Is there anything specific to look out for when leaving it for a few months?

Being I am only 19 (20 in a month) and not knowing that much about older bikes, what is the general reliability of the TRX like? As said this would not be a daily rider but would see significantly more use in spring summer and autumn so if it is looked after properly can it be relied to "start on the button" so to speak?

Last slightly off topic question... If the TRX would handle a restriction the only other bike I would want to get would be a Ducati Monster 696, what are people's thoughts on one bike vs the other? Not in terms of riding style etc but in terms of which bike would be a better first big bike? Would the Ducati (being 2008+) be easier to keep "on the road" due to its age? Would the TRX be a significant amount more work to keep running in order to make it not worthwhile having it over the Ducati as my only bike for the next 2-3 years?

WOW that was a big one... I hope you reached the end and I also hope you don't think of me as being wet behind the ears so to speak.

Many thanks,

Scott

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: General feel of TRX850 as first big bike

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:41 pm

That's a load of questions. Yes the TRX is a reliable bike, normally and no you will not need all kinds of extra maintenance to keep it running.
I can't compare it to a Monster 696 as I never have tried it. As it is younger, it must be a lot more expensive?
TRX as a first bike, hmm not sure. It is "friendly" in a way. So why not. It hurts a little that my precious beloved TRX is a cheap alternative to students now. :| :D
But I have never seen a TRX tuned down to A2. Why don't you try a SZR 660? Just as odd as a TRX and exactly 35kW / A2 compatible.
As it is not too expensive, you can save your money in the meantime to get your dream Ducati.
The SZR is also made in Italy! And a nice bike to learn to ride.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Pre-1997 bikes need frequent valve clearance adjustment, otherwise it's quite hard to think of any particular weaknesses. Rear calipers are a constant nightmare and need an annual strip and clear out if the bike is used year round, speedo drives can seize solid if exposed to water and then sat still for months, warped front discs are an excellent source of amusement.. But these are general bike problems, certainly 90s Yamaha problems.

Checking the oil at every opportunity is a good laugh, as is trying to get oil into the filler neck to which access has been obscured by the frame.

They do seem to sit well, I have never had the carbs give trouble even after sitting still for 6 months. The only thing is they need a fairly strong battery to start, so keep it topped up.

Don't know owt about the 696, sorry. Though I did think about starting this by pointing out the old 600 Monster is nearly A2 compliant as it is..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 am

Never had rear brake issues, never had warped discs, never had valve issues and rebuilt at 145,000km with still making 76hp and easily could have done another 145,000km on the motor. The inlet valve issue is only on 95/96 model TRX's so find a later model for peace of mind.
As for restricting the motor that can turni to an expensive operation.
Roberts suggestion about the SZR 660 makes perfect sense and a ripper of a bike to learn all those things like corner speed and braking and will hold its own with plenty of larger capacity bike until the straights.
Master that and the well maintained or modified TRX is a natural progression.
Plenty of neglected TRX's out there too , just ridden as daily hacks and a testament on reliability as they are just a basic motorcycle and will always get you home.
The money you pay for the Ducati you can find the SZR660 plus purchase an average TRX to tinker and build it to how you want during your A2 stage( whatever that is, A2 is milk here in Oz :D :lol: )
laughter is the best medicine

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:21 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Never had rear brake issues, never had warped discs
I think we can thank the UK weather for these foibles..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

scottsheerins
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by scottsheerins » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Many thanks to all of you for replies! Been hectic in uni hence the late reply from myself!

I should also clarify I have ridden a 125cc bike for 2 years, 1 year on L plates and almost 1 year on an A2 licence so this will be my first 'big' bike but not my first bike. My bad should have made that more clear.
Tarwetijger wrote: I can't compare it to a Monster 696 as I never have tried it. As it is younger, it must be a lot more expensive?
I have seen a mint condition, 2000 reg TRX with 18000 miles on it and when I say mint I mean there's barely a speck of dust on the thing. It's 2990 however there is the issue of whether or not it can be restricted, will contact local garages to investigate.

General 2008-2009 Ducati M696's are 3500-3700 so not that much more for a bike I know can be restricted and is a lot younger.
Snod Blatter wrote: Don't know owt about the 696, sorry. Though I did think about starting this by pointing out the old 600 Monster is nearly A2 compliant as it is..
Thank you for your insight into maintenance!

Yeah the older monsters are better for A2 compliance but having talked to a few owners they have said corrosion can be a specific issue with the older monster. I won't be riding it much in the winter as I said but having had issues with my 125 for corrosion etc I really don't want that hassle again and the newer 696's seem to hold up better and easier.

Also I don't want to sound flashy (aka a w****r) but considering I will have this bike for a good few years then in terms of the monster if I can afford the newer model I would prefer it, plus I think the newer one looks better.
cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:The money you pay for the Ducati you can find the SZR660 plus purchase an average TRX to tinker and build it to how you want during your A2 stage( whatever that is, A2 is milk here in Oz :D :lol: )
Thank you for your comments!

A2 is the middle licence here in the UK. Currently we have 4 licences for two wheeled machines. AM - Moped, up to 50cc and like 35mph I think (16 years old). A1 - 125cc machines (17-19 years old). A2 - this is where it gets complicated. Bike has to be above a certain weight, I think around 160kg and below a certain power - 45hp - however you can restrict bigger machines as long as they do not exceed around 90 hp (or double the limit) (19-21). Then A - unrestricted - earliest you can get this is 21 if you've been riding on an A2 licence for two years from 19. Alternatively you can bugger off all that progressive learning, which I think is a good thing btw, go in at 24 and do direct access and as long as you can pay the insurance and pass the tests get anything you want... LOGICAL. (sarcasm)

I will keep thinking about the options, will update this if I get a definitive answer about restriction however I'm glad to now know from first hand advice they can be easily maintained if you have more than two brain cells to rub together!

Cheers!

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Everything above.

I also have an SZR660 for sale shortly - A2 compliant and just as much fun as a TRX on the twisty bits :lol:
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 pm

scottsheerins wrote:I will keep thinking about the options, will update this if I get a definitive answer about restriction
This kit should fit so no question about whether they can be restricted or not :wink:

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Wonder what that feels like, a less powerful TRX?