TDM known issues/differences?

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jim280885
Site Sponsor

TDM known issues/differences?

Post by jim280885 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about potential bikes for my Europe tour later in the year and it crossed my mind that a TDM could be a good option given that I would have at least some idea of my way around the engine/chassis and what a healthy one feels like. Just wondering what known issues/differences there are compared to the TRX?

Anyone prefer the 850 to the 900 or vice versa? reasons?

It will be used for 2 up riding 90% of the time with full luggage hopefully. Seems that there are a few with moderate/lowish miles in OK condition for the 2000 pound mark, which is within budget.

Booked our tickets a few days ago so we're committed now!!

Thanks all.

Jim.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: TDM known issues/differences?

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 pm

The 850 will be a nightmare on a long trip due to the oil consumption and constant threat of running it dry, just like TRX's. If you can stretch to it, the 900 is better.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 am

I've toured extensively on both.

Both tour well. The 850 is more agile if doing lots of twisties - the 900 more of a tourer. As Snod says, the 900's ceramic barrels mean that oil consumption is negligible and fuel consumption with the fuel injection is better. I got around 55 mpg overall on the 900 and high 40s on the 850.
Better brakes on the 900 as standard but either a pretty good tourer - fitting a gel saddle or wearing gel cycling shorts makes the miles easier.
Want some inspiring photos? Here's my Euro trip with my mate on his 850 Mk1. Edinburgh to Venice, ferry to Greece and back by Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech, Poland, Germany, Belgium and home. :D
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dandywo ... t=3&page=1
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 am

I still cant believe you didnt sell me that bike!

jim280885
Site Sponsor

Post by jim280885 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks guys,

Good points and great photos Dandy. I'm hoping to have time to get to romania for that mega road, and will definitely be finishing up and the 'ring!

Just on the note of oil consumption... something I have noticed with my trx is since using Penrite full synth, the oil consumption has reduced significantly to almost nothing! Its been a few years now, although it could also be something to do with moving into town and my commute changing from 140km/h+ straights and fun twisties, to urban streets with nothing over 80km/h and much more relaxed riding style.

Any idea how the bikes are for a pillion?

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:41 pm

jim280885 wrote:Thanks guys,

Good points and great photos Dandy. I'm hoping to have time to get to romania for that mega road, and will definitely be finishing up and the 'ring!

Just on the note of oil consumption... something I have noticed with my trx is since using Penrite full synth, the oil consumption has reduced significantly to almost nothing! Its been a few years now, although it could also be something to do with moving into town and my commute changing from 140km/h+ straights and fun twisties, to urban streets with nothing over 80km/h and much more relaxed riding style.

Any idea how the bikes are for a pillion?
Just realised you're from very far south! How late in the year are you planning the trip? Some of these passes, especially the Transfagarasan, are only open July to October.
I haven't done any big trips 2 up on either bike, so can't really comment on that, sorry
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 am

jim280885 wrote: Any idea how the bikes are for a pillion?
Yes, as I 've been a pillion on a 900 (years ago). It's not bad at all.
Although it must have looked funny, as I was on the back in full race leathers.
(someone else crashed my TRX. :x )

jim280885
Site Sponsor

Post by jim280885 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks again all.

I'm liking the idea of aa tdm more and more. Good value for money by the looks of it and familiarity will let me concentrate on the roads and vistas rather than learning a new bike too.

We'll be in the UK for most of June, then July August will be the euro-tour. So hopefully the roads will be open. I am keen to hear suggestions of where to check out too as we have no real plan other than some loose dates to be in the pyrenese for eg. and other than finishing up at the 'ring we have no real plan. Looks like the Dolomites in Italy are pretty spectacular. Our plan is to camp as often as we can to avoid spending too much on accom so any lovely rural areas you guys think are must sees throughout france/italy and anywhere else within striking distance would be much appreciated. Also hoping to get to the TT when we first get over there too!!! Many a life goal box being ticked hopefully!

Jim.