Tyre experiences

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

EKA966
TRX-Enthusiast

Tyre experiences

Post by EKA966 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:57 am

Hi! Im new to both this forum and the TRX, bought one last autumn after not have ridden a bike for decades. I've been in on this forum just once before, just as I had bought the bike, and as far as I can remember I then found a thread regarding evaluating tyres suitable for this bike model. For the upcoming season I need to replace the tyres but now when I search for the topic I can't find it. Please either help me find that or simply make your comments here. I'm a "rebounce-biker", 50+ and even if I in my early days raced a TZ 250, I'm rather calm on the roads, and I won't probably maker any heavy milage during the season, and even if a good tyre economy seldom can too overrated, I prefer a good grip before tyre economy if I have to choose. So, there's the direction of my aim, any suggestions for me?

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Tyre experiences

Post by dicky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Best grip - Michelin Pilot Power
Great grip - Michelin Pilot Road
The Michelin web site seems to the worst way to find out what tyres they have available.
Fit a 120/70 to the front, it handles much better than the stock 120/60.
Road 4's are pretty good, only my opinion, but that's what you asked for.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Yes I'd agree with Dicky.. Good old pilot powers..
Ran them for years , single compound and plenty of feedback and at a good price.
For a Std TRX you can work them hard on the road and after 3000km the rear will start to let you know it's starting to loose it's edge grip. By 5,000km they begin to move around a little when on the throttle hard and usually by 7,000km they are squaring off and good for just daily commute till you buy a new pair. But at around $350 a pair they don't hurt the hip pocket that bad.
Pretty reasonable in wet weather too...
laughter is the best medicine

Ragnar
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Most of the riders from the german Forum are happy with the Michelin. The 120/70 is defently a good handling Upgrade like allready said. You can even get a 170 for the rear.
If i could i would post the photos with all their tyres for the TRX. Plenty to chose from.

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trixed » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:55 am

Just put my third set of Pilot power 3s. Great feel, feedback And grip in all conditions. Wears by 7000 km. 120/70 front and 180 55 rear. GreAt lean in grip. Very predictable.
It is time to rev your hearts!

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 pm

I had a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s that were great for the first 8K miles, then the front seemed to go off - it would occasionally slide in the wet and didn't feel nearly as good as when it was newer. The pair lasted to 10K which makes them great value for money despite the painful initial outlay.

I currently have a pair of Nankang Roadiacs which are nowhere near as good, they're so stiff they feel like bias ply construction and they don't seem to have anywhere near the grip of the PR3s but they're also quick wear, I think I'll be lucky to get 4K out of them. Not recommended, though they're perfectly serviceable day to day.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.