TRX tire recommendations please

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

TRX tire recommendations please

Post by CanadaSteve » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 pm

OK, so I picked up a 99 TRX a couple of weeks ago and so far have been working on (and waiting for parts to be shipped to Perth) it instead of riding. Changed the oil and filter, installed new rear rotor, rebuilt the rear caliper and installed a new air filter. First ride today since I brought it home to see how the servicing I did has improved things. Well, I'm not too sure about the old Michelin radials on it ( bike tends to push out on corners when applying some throttle) and the old owner said the rear had a slow leak anyway. So in the near future I guess I'll be looking to put new tires on it. I've always liked Bridgestones (and have BattleAxes on my VFR 750) but I'm open to suggestions as to what you guys think works best on the TRX. I don't put a lot of kms on my bikes so I'm not adverse to getting something sticky that won't last forever. But, by the same token I don't have a money tree in the yard.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can send my way.
Steve

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: TRX tire recommendations please

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Maybe look at this another way Steve.
Not what tyre suits the bike but more like what tyre will suit your riding style as just about all tyres manufactured now days are of a very good standard.
Most times its only once you start to push things you find the limitations of the tyre and most don't even go there.

Perth wouldn't have too much wet weather I would imagine so that's a good , you may not want a chunky style tyre and if upright most times and do 6-10,000 km per year maybe look at a dual compound sports tourer( tho most are now days )
Tyre life only has a span of 4-5 yrs so if your only going to do 3 or 4,000 Km's a year , you will easily get 2 -3 years out of a sports tyre and you'll find most at a good price.

Even Shinko scrub up ok for most and are a good cheaper option.

Tyre pressures from the manufacturer are also set for a reason.
Some pressures from manufacturers may seem excessive or a little low but its all to do with their there style of construction.
If you like the feel of the Bridgestones then Why change ???

Suspension has a lot to play here too and if your suspension is compromising your tyre grip, then The tyre is not the problem. Good suspension will give you confidence in your tyres too.
laughter is the best medicine

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:34 pm

I agree with Cobba, but you did ask for recommendations, so I suggest Michelin Pilot Power.
Whatever you decide, use a 120/70 for the front, it does feel much better than the standard 120/60.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:49 am

I agree with dicky, Michelin Pilot Powers are a good match for the TRX.
Also agree with the front 120/70 profile being better. If you go with the 70 profile, raise the fork tubes about 12mm to compensate for the taller profile.
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:33 am

Yes I must say I'm a Michelin man too myself.

Good stable tyre with 7-8,000km from a pair of pilot powers.
Pilot powers are a Single compound tyre and don't give that twitchy feel like the CT2's when moving from the centre to the edge compounds which can be a little un nerving until you get use to it.
Stiffer carcass too than the ct series so if you like late braking, they tend not to stand up as much trail braking deep into the corner. :wink:
Good feedback with plenty of warning ...

Excellent for the first 3,000km then slowly begin to taper off till 5,000km then loose their edge but still hold well for the last couple of tho with no issues.
Took 1 pair to 9500km but not advised, :lol: but still got me to work n back each day and past the tread depth indicators. 8-[ 8-[
Good price when I last looked at under $350 fitted F&R

pbear62
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pbear62 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Steve,

Firstly, welcome to another Perth-ite! (Incidently, I think I know the bike you bought)

When I bought my bike in 2008 it had Bridgestones & since then I've stayed with them - mine don't both need replacing
at the same time so I find I just keep matching the new one to the one that isn't needing replacement!

I am currently using an S20 Hypersport on the front and have just ordered a T30 EVO (sports touring) for the rear.
The old rear is a BT023 sports touring which has done about 13000km & is worn down the middle but still has plenty
on the edges (you know what WA roads are like!)

I prefer the S20 on the front as I like the extra confidence the stickier tyre gives me rather than a sports touring front.

Mine are both std sizes too: 120/60 front & 160/60 rear.

Cheers, Andy
Once you've had black - you'll never go back!

Bigamy is when you have one wife too many - Monogamy is the same!

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CanadaSteve » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks for the input so far. I noticed that no one has mentioned Pirellis. Took her out for a brief run today but re-checked the tire pressures first. The back was down a bit so I pumped it up to 34 psi before going out. Made a fair difference (well, duh!) and it doesn't want to straighten out the corners so much now. So maybe I'll just get the slow leak fixed for now and put another k or so on the bike before getting new tires. Don't know how old the tires on it are but they aren't out of tread yet although my local bike shop guy figured they are on the verge of being stuffed. The Bridgestones I've got on my VFR are variable compound and I haven't noticed any weirdness when laying it over for a corner or even changing my line through a sweeper didn't upset anything. Anyway, I will look into the Michelins that have been recommended. I assume the 12mm dropping of the triple clamp (ie, raising the forks) is to compensate for increased rake and trail with the recommended taller front tire.

However, the next project is to pull the front calipers and maybe do a rebuild. They may not need it but the front rim is a bit grungy so I want to get it off and clean it up anyway.

Chipping away,
Steve

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:06 pm

I ran a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s for 10.5K miles, they were grippy until the last couple of K and eventually the front disappeared underneath me while braking on a slightly wet track day. The rear was always fine, and I never noticed the change between the two compounds. The carcass is also amazingly soft and springy, very much supported by the air inside - this is really nice as it goes some way to making the TRX's crashy suspension bearable. They also feel like they mould into the road surface, just fantastic.

I have since fitted a pair of Nankang Roadiac WF-1s and the profile seems to suit the bike just as much, but the carcass is very stiff this time - when new they were like a pair of bias ply tyres. They have softened with miles though, I would guess Nankang put a lot of rubber on to try and compete on longevity with the big boys. I like them though, more than grippy enough and again I haven't noticed the change between compounds. They are wearing fast though, only 2K miles in and they're looking like they're about halfway through their life. The rear also started to melt on some Belgian motorway which no doubt decreased its life significantly, but it was fine everywhere else at all kinds of speeds. Can only have been the slightly rougher surface?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

CanadaSteve wrote:....I assume the 12mm dropping of the triple clamp (ie, raising the forks) is to compensate for increased rake and trail with the recommended taller front tire....
Hi Steve,

Yes that's correct. The height of the 70 profile tire is 70% of 120mm = 84mm. The height of the 60 profile tire is 60% of 120mm = 72mm. The difference is 12mm, which is how much higher the axle will be above the road surface.
Technically if you take into account the rake angle of the forks (25deg), the forks should be raised 13.24mm (i.e. 12/cos25). Anything around 10mm will be fine and I doubt anyone could tell the difference that a couple of mm would make.
A cautionary note - The stock fork springs are quite soft and if you raise the forks too much you risk the tire contacting the front guard/fender under heavy braking. The solution is Racetech springs - and so it begins....... :D

I'm using the 70 profile on both my street and track TRXs, I've found the advantages to be:
- More tire choices
- Ride is less harsh
- Tips into corners easier
- Better grip when banked over due to the 'rounder' shape giving a bigger contact patch rather than riding on the edge lip of the 'flatter' 60 profile.

For info, I run the Michelins at 36 psi rear and 33 psi front for street riding, although everyone has an opinion on pressures :wink:

Cheers,
Wayne
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:23 am

Pirelli super corsa's, i love em :twisted: . 70 section front.
Might see you around. :r1p:
Cheers,
Alan.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:14 pm

I've got michelin pilots on one trx....dunlop sportsmarts on the other.
both bikes set up the same std forks..link plates...r6 shocks.
both with 120/70 . 160/60.
Michelins at 33f/34r.....Dunlops at 32f/34r.
I prefer the dunlops....seem to warm quicker..hold temp...feeling is better.
and I was always a michelin guy....
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm

fung wrote: Michelins at 33f/34r.....Dunlops at 32f/34r.
I prefer the dunlops....seem to warm quicker..hold temp...feeling is better.
maybe drop the pressure in the front 1psi on the Michelins :D
Paul

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 am

Horses for courses.
The michelins took a little longer to her up on my trackdays but held firm the whole session but the Dunlops got up to close to temp by the end of the 2nd lap and would go a little way wood at the end but plenty of warning.
Ambient and track temps can catch you out if not careful.. I lesson I'll never forget. :lol: :lol:
I'm tempted by the Pirelli's too if I find the extra $$$ and a different construction again so will have their own characteristics.

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trixed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:33 am

On my third set of Pilot power 3s. Suits me and the bike. Great handling, feel and very stable in and out of corners. Having a180 rear helps with more lean angle too :D
It is time to rev your hearts!

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:25 am

If you want a budget tyre and wear isnt too much of an issue. I have a Maxxis supermax sport on the back of mine and it is doing well, but i only do trackdays on it. Done 8 trackdays this year and it is like new in the middle and getting a bit worn on the edges, but its not finished yet.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project