Touring question.

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Touring question.

Post by Stu99 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 pm

I am planning a decent size touring trip next year and it got me thinking as I like to think of or source ways to solve problems others have found.
If you could change something about the gear you take touring what would that be? 
It could be size, weight, function or something else altogether.
I'd be interested to hear from people.

Cheers,
Stu
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Touring question.

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Not taking the wife... :lol: :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Only pack enough clothes for a week, no matter how long you tour for - always somewhere to wash stuff
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:19 am

Having just come back from an 11,000k trip up North, I've got a few things I'd do differently next time:
Less clothes. I had to take my cold weather gear but needed it no longer after Grafton. Wished I'd been able to leave it there and collect on the way back.
Less tools. Did not need a single one on the trip. I'm sure carrying a lot of tools and associated clobber alters reality and means you don't ever need them.
Less food. Buy it as you need it, or for a couple of days hence. I carried a couple of cans of food that I unpacked when I got home. I also carried a 10litre water bladder. 5litres would be adequate.
Less books. Ok, so I read a lot and bought a couple along the way, but by fark, they're heavy and take up a lot of space.
Less fuel. I carried a 5 litre petrol bladder (DesertFox). Good thing, but towns were never anywhere near a petrol-tank apart.
More money. A lot more. Cash is good.

What was good:
GPS and physical maps. I'd use maps for the big picture, usually planning the next day or two ahead and then just putting destination towns into the GPS. Breaks the journey up into manageable chunks.
Trangia. If you're camping, a Tranny is a great investment. Gas is fine, but you can get metho anywhere.
Sleeping gear. You need a good night's sleep. Don't skimp on a shitty sleeping bag and mattress. Buy good hiking gear - compact, effective and lightweight, you will not regret it, it'll last a long time too.
Camera. Phones are shit. Nothing beats a decent lens. I took my EOS 60D for the first time and so glad I did. In the past I'd worried about trashing a couple of grand worth of camera as well as bike and body, but sod it, the pics were worth it.
Tablet. Good thing. Couple of ebooks, music and videos on this. Could also backup my pics from the camera. Don't have a 3G/4G one, but could get WiFi at most caravan parks and motels and could also tether to my 'phone. Used it to book lodgings in advance and also for the maps.
Andy Strapz. This man sells gooood stuff. I bought a lot of gear from him, including soft panniers. Go to his shop in Frankston, but be prepared to spend money.
Lamby. Don't go anywhere without one on the seat.

That's about all I got.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 pm

@ Cobba, very good :lol: :lol:

@ Dandywarhol, about 3 days worth for me :thumbright:

@ Davamb, great feedback thanks mate :thumbup:

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Stu99 wrote:
@ Dandywarhol, about 3 days worth for me :thumbright:
Yeah, but I don't wear my budgie snugglers inside out and back to front for 3 days 8)
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:32 am

Wire in a USB outlet into your hard luggage (or soft) for charging the gadgets, a "Spot GPS" i would not leave home without one now! Drop the needles in the carbs one clip for better fuel economy. I only wear IceBreaker 120GSM wool T-shirts as they can be worn for at least a week, don't smell and take only one colour t-shirt. Better boots that can be worn as hiking boots, i have a pair of ex Military GP boots, modified with a zip and extra leather straps, water proof, warm, comfortable and can be worn all day doing everything, lastly a pair of thongs for the shower :D
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Get a more comfortable seat!

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:51 pm

jjmoto wrote:Get a more comfortable seat!
Wear gel insert cycling shorts - cheaper than a seat :D

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:37 am

Rod.s wrote:Wire in a USB outlet into your hard luggage (or soft) for charging the gadgets, a "Spot GPS" i would not leave home without one now! Drop the needles in the carbs one clip for better fuel economy. I only wear IceBreaker 120GSM wool T-shirts as they can be worn for at least a week, don't smell and take only one colour t-shirt. Better boots that can be worn as hiking boots, i have a pair of ex Military GP boots, modified with a zip and extra leather straps, water proof, warm, comfortable and can be worn all day doing everything, lastly a pair of thongs for the shower :D
USB is a great idea, really save a lot of hassle trying to charge devices wherever you are staying. Cheap too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-D ... SwNSxVI1F2

Leaning it out a bit is also no harm given when you are touring the bike will stay cooler anyway so you can afford to have a hotter combustion.

I typically get close to 4 ltr per 100km giving about a 400km range. Definitely cant tolerate 400km without getting off the bike though. Too cramped.

Must look into your boots suggestion, I have a nice pair of sidi boots i wear touring but I like the idea of adding a zip to some ex army boots so they can be taken off without having to spend ages unlacing them
Paul

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:47 am

My boots after 2 weeks touring in all sorts of weather, feet never got wet. The damage on the right boot was after a spill, scuffed the leather but that it :D

If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:08 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
jjmoto wrote:Get a more comfortable seat!
Wear gel insert cycling shorts - cheaper than a seat :D
Will try them out cheers cos riding up to Heysham for the IOM ferry in August anything over about 70 miles on the motorway was bloody painful. I don't know if the upright riding position is significant (renthal ultra low bars) I don't remember my previous TRX with stock bars being so bad.
Regarding the USB charging point my mate has one wired in under the seat on his Fireblade & it's dead useful for phone charging & satnav

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 am

The USB is a good idea. I have also been looking at solar panels for charging devices.