TRX competitive

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Curmi.
Site Sponsor

TRX competitive

Post by Curmi. » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi guys, just thought I would get some views on how competitive the trx would be in my particular classic race class. Iam selling my rgv race bike which I won the championship last year with, to give the trx what she needs to race in the pre modern class. The 8 hour marboro bike of 96 is a bit of inspiration as its a pretty cool race bike, and most of all its a different race bike. Its to easy to go buy another inline four like everyone else.
The bikes that will be the competition are 1990-95, zxr750,yzf750,gsxr750,cbr900,ducati 916.
My plans for the bike are JE 878, cams, port/flow head, bigger valves, FCR 41 carbs, already running projection 2 into 1 exhaust, and r1 front end.
I know no matter what I do, down a long straight like eastern creek, they will all scream past, being inlines with a bit more power, and having 6 speed. But other tracks ill be racing at don't have that very long straight. So exit speed from corner to corner iam hoping they won't have much advantage, especially tight slow speed corners. One track is the short circuit of eastern creek, that has no straight and is majority tight.
Would be very keen to hear the thoughts of you guys, as a lot of you know these bikes very well inside and out. Thanks Adrian

Silver
Site Sponsor

Re: TRX competitive

Post by Silver » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:47 pm

I do a lot of track days in uk and its the speed thing that holds us back. Corner speed on the trx is very good and should hold up well or better that some of the bulky in line fours of the era, as you are aware the longer straights will show up our weakness. On the smaller tighter circuits you could do very well. I rode anglesey coastal recently and the TRX went really well and wasn't outgunned by all but the modern race reps. I think you will have fun, which is the main thing and hopefully do well too. It is a bit annoying to get mullered on the straights just to get bulked at the next corner, but that goes with the territory, but its hugely rewarding to ride round the outside of some of these numpties. Mine is fairly standard with big bore 2 into 1 from Projection and a cbr600 front end. This has the cartridge forks but looks like period trx forks.
Keep us posted on how you get on, if you decide to go on with this.
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

TRX 850 #87
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by TRX 850 #87 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

Curmi. wrote:Hi guys, just thought I would get some views on how competitive the trx would be in my particular classic race class. Iam selling my rgv race bike which I won the championship last year with, to give the trx what she needs to race in the pre modern class. The 8 hour marboro bike of 96 is a bit of inspiration as its a pretty cool race bike, and most of all its a different race bike. Its to easy to go buy another inline four like everyone else.
The bikes that will be the competition are 1990-95, zxr750,yzf750,gsxr750,cbr900,ducati 916.
My plans for the bike are JE 878, cams, port/flow head, bigger valves, FCR 41 carbs, already running projection 2 into 1 exhaust, and r1 front end.
I know no matter what I do, down a long straight like eastern creek, they will all scream past, being inlines with a bit more power, and having 6 speed. But other tracks ill be racing at don't have that very long straight. So exit speed from corner to corner iam hoping they won't have much advantage, especially tight slow speed corners. One track is the short circuit of eastern creek, that has no straight and is majority tight.
Would be very keen to hear the thoughts of you guys, as a lot of you know these bikes very well inside and out. Thanks Adrian
OK Adrian, you're obviously in Aus so I'll puncture a few ideas. First R1 forks fitted to a TRX are not eligible for PCRA pre modern, neither are blue spots (or gold spots). Overboring to 878 is also not legal, read the rules for the class in my post about building my TRX into a PM F1 bike. If you need some ideas about the class and building a TRX for it I suggest that you have a look at my thread and check out the FB page for PCRA racers at https://www.facebook.com/groups/376130109068135/

If you have questions about eligibility you need to speak to Marcus de Caux.
1999 TRX 850 PCRA Pre Modern F1 race bike #87

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am

Even with some serious tuning you will struggle to match power outputs of any of the bikes you have mentioned. TRXs can be made to handle very well but if you want to be competetive, ditch the idea of racing a TRX.

My money would be on a 916

Kobo1
Site Sponsor

Post by Kobo1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 pm

In the class it has to race in it wouldn't be competitive...If you want to win outright. Contrary to popular belief though, it's not always about winning....There are however going to be a few TRXs racing so you would have competition. I say go for it....

Kobo 8)
Competing is everything, winning is just a bonus.

When the flag drops, the bullshit stops....

Curmi.
Site Sponsor

Post by Curmi. » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 pm

I know the rules of pcra, been racing for a couple of years with the club. The r1 hardware will be changed for yzf750 stuff, witch is legal as its from the period. As with over bore, you are allowed 5% increase over standard bore size, I haven't done the figures but at least an 868,or rosso 870. Wasn't than keen going the max 1.5 over bore. Plus I never heard of anyone having there motor striped to check bore size, Marcus and the guys don't seem that anal about things like that. I will keep receipts of pistons and boring anyway just incase. They would be tough on the front end ill agree, so yzf is the go. All the best with your bike and racing trx850 87

To phuk 72, I fully get what your saying, but I suppose I like a hard challenge. I think the trx with enough work would not be walked all over as you say, although I cant say as I have not experienced this situation first hand yet. I think the only big issue would any where they can stretch there legs, which is not all of the track, but would probably get a bit frustrating. Like there is one track we use which is the short track of eastern creek, that has nowhere to open up hard through the gears and very tight, and I think the trx with a good suspension setup and 95 or so rear wheel hp, and ridden right, won't be touched as that is a torque circuit. But that's just one scenario probably wouldn't work so well in others.
The trx has grown on me so much I just have to make it better and prove a point,if I fail or not. The ducati 916 is a good bike, but standard trim makes 100hp at rear wheel, and is a bit heavier than trx, can't we get the trx close enough to run with it. The yzfs and gsxrs of that era are very quick, but I sat on one and just felt like a big bulky thing for a 750. So my idea is to try and make the advantages of the trx work, even though it may not be enough, iam going try anyway because its to easy to just buy a yzf750. But what if one day you could beat that yzf in a head to head, that would be extremely rewarding. Thanks for replies Cheers

Rich
Site Sponsor

Post by Rich » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm

If you enjoy it, you've already won. Good luck and have fun.

TRX 850 #87
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by TRX 850 #87 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Adrian, don't despair about racing the fast guys, there is a move to have the TRX reclassed as F2 against the 600s anyway. I have been a PCRA member since 1992 and have raced P5 Unlimited (CB 900/1100 hybrid), P5 350 (on a TZ 350) and Pre Modern F1 on a ZXR 750L, so I have had my chances to run with the fast guys. Lets face it, against ZXRs and GSXRs we won't stand a chance of winning (even on SMP Sth) but hell I don't race to win only to have fun. Your YZF front forks will be eligible, are you going to run the 6 piston calipers? If you change them for 4 piston you will need to find something period - not blue spots unfortunately. I do note that the TRX currently racing is still running blue spots even though he's been told he has to change them. I am aware that Marcus has never pulled down a members bike engine to check capacity, but if you put up on the internet that your bike is overbore someone will call you on it. Better to stick to standard sizes for reboring if that is what you want. Kobo is also building a bike for next year and with mine and possibly yours, that would make 4 Trixxies racing. That should be enough for us to have some fun against each other anyway. BTW the 916 Ducati that is occasionally raced isn't that fast anyway, it just handles brilliantly in the corners.

Curmi.
Site Sponsor

Post by Curmi. » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Moving the trx to f2 would be the right move, well for a few years there in sbk it was 750cc inline against 1000cc twin, so 600 vs 850 sounds about right. I will be running the six pots even though they munch discs. I think best leave the bore size alone then, now you guys are on to me(ha ha). Plus one thing I don't have to spend money on,Need to put the yzf stuff after being spoiled with the r1 front. Also there are only two places to get replating done in oz. One guy I have been told steer well away from, so that only leaves one in Victoria. Although that guy may do a good job, it doesn't fill me with confidence. If I did I would send them overseas as I have done with my rgv barrels. So I may just inspect bores and go from there.
Don't get me wrong, Iam out there to have fun too, I only won the championship last year because I rocked up to every round, and scored decent points, and won only one race because the faster guys weren't there. Running mid field is very rewarding for me, and comparing times with the guys around you, Thats my fun.
What made me think about the trx also, is that the only trx out there at round 5, after 3 laps was coming last by the whole length of the straight, shorley the Trixie can do a bit better than that.
I hope to get the bike together, And some fun with you guys ,thats if my rgv sells, other wise you might see me back out on that lucky strike rgv you might have seen me on.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Trx barrells aren't coated like the TDM 900's so if you choose to go 1mm oversize which is legal that wont be an issue. :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

TRX 850 #87
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by TRX 850 #87 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 am

Adrian,

don't think that because the only Trixxie out there is currently coming dead last means that the bike is uncompetitive. The rider of that bike is a newb and doesn't yet have much race experience (from what I know of the guy). The TRX will never be competitive top speed wise against the ZXRs and GSXRs out there, but it will be all over them in the corners with a good rider onboard.

Just because you won't win races outright doesn't mean you can't still have a lot of fun. I've never won a race but then even when I was running my L model ZXR I was up against PGM and his ex TKA ZX7 and one or two top B graders on well sorted T model GSXRs. As a C grader the best I could manage was 6th in class at the BSFOS in 2011 and I think I wound up as 5th in the club championship that year.

Put your Trixxie on the track for next year, it'll be a lot of fun especially if there are 4 of us racing them.

BTW I'm leaving my engine dead stock at the moment apart from a modified airbox and one of Brian's programmable ignitions. The only mods are an Akra pipe, a rebuilt and modded rear shock and fitting slicks.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:42 pm

What a nice thing to have so much racing possibilities! Not only a modern-classic race class but also different ones to choose from. :shock: Amazing.

I just did a trackday (no competition) yesterday and my bike is close to the specs you have in mind.
I was surprised -again, as always - to see my TRX is by far the oldest bike around in the paddock. Some exceptions aside, most bikes are at least 10 years younger. It is just R1,CBR-RR and GSXR everywhere. Even brandnew BMW S1000RR, MV Agusta's and Ducati's are taken to the track.
Some of them are training for their races and are REALLY fast. But there a lot of riders just having fun - like me. And those are the ones I can keep up with or even pass them! I think some of them have no clue what passed them.
So, could a TRX be competitive? I am not so sure, I don't think so if the level of racing and laptimes are getting serious. But on an amateur-level of riding, the TRX is good fun. I owned a YZF750R and yes it is bulky. Indeed, the torque of the TRX gets you out of the corner easiley. And in my experience, the TRX gives you the confidence to pull the throttle wide open out of a corner where a lot of R1-riders are waiting a little ... maybe because they are afraid of a highsider?
In the end, it is the guy at the handlebars who makes the difference.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Selling a stroker to keep a diesel? #-o

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

NWS870R
Site Sponsor

Post by NWS870R » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Kayla wrote:Selling a stroker to keep a diesel? #-o
I'd sell my arms before any of my stinkwheels! Although i kinda like my diesels as well :D
Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Curmi.
Site Sponsor

Post by Curmi. » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 pm

Never mind Theres one stroker you have to pry from my cold dying hands,and not racing that! sold the rgv so I can make the two yams the best they can be.
love my strokers through and through, but if I have a diesel it has to be a twin, the complete opposite the a stroker. The best I had was a rsv1000r.
Some tunning and suspension mods will be done to the rzv500, but very slowly. As you can see I like to build the race bikes to look good, the trx will be the same, if your going to come last you might as well look good doing it. Ha Ha Ha.