rear shocky

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

rear shocky

Post by nukes » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:57 am

Gday all, just wondering what options are available for the rear shocky as ive come to the conclusion mine is just about f#@ked. Are they an easy thing to service, not worth the effort,aftermarket prices? Any advice greatly appreciated!! :D
KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:34 pm

Guess it's like with most things, a matter of money and interest...
I had my standard shock re-built last year, and it was an amazing feeling to have a working shock... Costed me ca 250 Euros, and that included a bit of machining things in order to get the correct sag.

With that said, I presume an aftermarket item should be better, Öhlins, Wilbers or such. I've been told adjusting possibilities are the main difference, with those You can actually feel the difference with one click. On the other hand, if Your only commuting, and go for some twisties in the week-ends, I suppose it wouldn't be worthwhile, I think the cheapest Wilbers shock is something like 450-500 Euros?

The YZF750 rear-shock is obviously the same as the TRX's, so that gives You a slightly bigger supply.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Ohlins is like night and day to the standard shock

Rebuilds can be done and is a good option (and you can have the correct spring for your weight)

YZF750 shock is same as TRX and YZF750 SP Yamaha Ohlins is about half way between starndard and full anftermarket Ohlins

twolfe
Site Sponsor

Post by twolfe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:53 am

Like PHUK and HANS say aftermarket shocks should be the bees knees, but they are expensive.I had my original rebuilt with racetech gold valves etc, and had the spring matched to my weight.It made a noticable difference .

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nukes » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:36 am

do any fellas from brisvegas know a good place to send a shocky for a tune up? alternatively anyone got bits floating around theyde like to flog off at the mo. ta vedy muuch inn advance. :lol:

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:28 am

Nukes, is yours a Japanese import model? If so, the spring is way to soft for round eyed gaijins. Standard JP model rear spring is 8kg, I put a 9.5kg Racetech on mine and low and behold, magic. I'm starting to run out of compression response now as the shock has been worked hard but a rebuild should fix that.

And yes, it's still not as good as a 'real' Ohlins.

What is your weight (in gear) BTW?
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nukes » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:53 am

shit max and we havent even been on our first date yet!!!!!!! :whoopass:

weighed in at 102kgs plus leathers which are f@#kin heavy things, little bit less after a :pottytrain5: and a :pukeright: . As far as i know its not a Japanese import model but i think the ks have something to do with it. I'm sure its never been reconditioned though it does have lockwire holes dotted around the joint so i think it has a fairly chequred past. My mate with the bike shop up here reckons around $150 to get it done but there isnt anyone up here to do it, so he has to send it away.

What poundage are you Max as a comparison for the spring weight?

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Around 80kg in gear, when I'm in track mode. Right now around 80kg in winter mode in my birthday suit. :oops:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:12 pm

Nukes, you'd definately need a heavier spring at a healthy 102 + kg. 10.5kg at least. I don't think you'll get away with not having to send the shock away for mods. My preference would be Terry Hay at Shock Treatment in NSW for Racetech or Peter at Promecha for K Tech in Vic. I chose Promecha and found them excellent. Either will be able to advise on spring rate and then shim the shock to suit your riding style and spring rate.
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

twolfe
Site Sponsor

Post by twolfe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:45 am

I can vouch for Terry Hay at shock treatment, he did the work on my suspension.I think you will find it is going to cost a bit more than $150, but that depends on what you get done.Ring around for info and prices.I'm sure the guys at shock treatment would be willing to give you info.

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nukes » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 am

gday Twolfe, dont mind if it costs a bit as long as the bugger is done properly. Thanks for the reference Waz ill give em a tingle during the week. Bye the way hows the water situation going down there, my rellies are saying its still dry as a nuns nasty even with the occasional storms passing thru. Lucky stroke you dont have to drink your own P@#s though. My old man reckons you should only drink out of bottles anyway[black ones with xxxx on them] :lol:

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:17 am

nukes wrote: my rellies are saying its still dry as a nuns nasty
:shock:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nukes » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:00 am

i thought youd understand 'strine' by now Max :wink:

Peter850
Site Sponsor

Post by Peter850 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I had my front forks fully done by MPE ( Pual Baericke - 07 5439 0088 ) and at the same time he serviced the rear back to stock for around the price you said . Should have swapped springs at the same time but the cash wasn't there. He does great work and has guy's who send there MX bikes down from FNQ just so he can work on then, he even has my dirt bike forks at the moment. I think he's the only Race Tech qualified tech in Queensland. Cheers.
Suncoasttrx in another world.

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Peter850 wrote:I think he's the only Race Tech qualified tech in Queensland.
Probably because he's the only dude in QLD that the Racetech people can understand... <gdr>
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)