Ignition switch ....

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Greg
Site Sponsor

Ignition switch ....

Post by Greg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:25 am

Ok - here it is, the last question before I got an put it all back together...

The R1 yoke has the OE switch still attached, but the wiring configuration looks different to the TRX. I'd like to remove the TRX switch and install it in the R1 yoke, but am I correct in assuming that they've been fixed with tamper-proof (lost head) bolts? I've seen yokes offered without switches so they must come out somehow, but I'd rather not fek mine up finding our how it's done... Can a tap-extractor or an Easy-Out(?) be used ??

T I A

G

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:35 am

Just drill the head and twist the threaded part out with mole grips or stud extractors if they're tight. Worked for me every time.
NEVER EAT ANYTHING BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD

burty
Site Sponsor

Re: Ignition switch ....

Post by burty » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Greg wrote:Ok - here it is, the last question before I got an put it all back together...

The R1 yoke has the OE switch still attached, but the wiring configuration looks different to the TRX. I'd like to remove the TRX switch and install it in the R1 yoke, but am I correct in assuming that they've been fixed with tamper-proof (lost head) bolts? I've seen yokes offered without switches so they must come out somehow, but I'd rather not fek mine up finding our how it's done... Can a tap-extractor or an Easy-Out(?) be used ??

T I A

G
Easy-outs normally work, although sometimes they can break in situ.

I think I ended up welding a nut onto the top of mine and turning it out with a spanner.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:22 pm

Top tip - check the connectors before you chop them off. They may be the same and that would save you having to solder the connector back on.

Don't ask me how I know this :roll:

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 pm

phuk72 wrote:Don't ask me how I know this :roll:
:oops: :oops: :lol:

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Ignition switch ....

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:42 pm

Greg wrote: The R1 yoke has the OE switch still attached, but the wiring configuration looks different to the TRX. I'd like to remove the TRX switch and install it in the R1 yoke....
Actually I don't think the TRX switch will fit an R1 yoke; It's a different length and hole spacing.... Better measure it first eh? Or better still replace the block connnectors on the TRX loom and R1 switch and use the R1 one..... (if you see what I mean) Assuming you have a key of course.....

BTW early R1's have the same block connectors as UK spec TRX's. If you have this combination it should plug straight in.

Greg
Site Sponsor

Post by Greg » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Well I have the key, and the switch is better than the TRX's, but it seems to be one wire short... the TRX has the two high current wires plus 4 others, the R1 switch has 2 plus 3... unless there's a wire missing of course!

I was thinking of doing away with the conventional switch altogether and running it with the kill switch as a master on/off. And a big chain for in town of course!

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:43 pm

Import TRX's only have 2+2 wires on the switch.... go figure....

Greg
Site Sponsor

Post by Greg » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:53 pm

time to get out the wiring schematics then ... bugger!