Speedo Trouble

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

throttle
TRX-Enthusiast

Speedo Trouble

Post by throttle » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:38 pm

On a nice cold Sunday ride through Yamanashi, I looked down to check my speed and watched the speedometer go from 120kph, to 0kph far quicker than I could ever hope to stop in reality. So I looked up from the speedo, and sure enough, I was still going about 120kph, thus indicating to me that my speedometer was broken.

So my question is this: What is wrong with my speedo? I was wondering if any of you had experienced similar troubles with yours.

The bike is a Japanese 95 model. Now that the speedo is stuck at 0, the darn thing won't rev past 6750 rpm, and now the top speed is real low too, at about 185kph. It used to go all the way to redline in fith gear, but now that the speedo is dead, my fun has been 'limited'. I'll take the speedo off and look at the cable too, but I just thought one of you guys (or gals?) might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Scott

PS: Hi everyone! :D

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi,
cable is a quite common cause, happened to me as well. Could be broken either close to the speedo itself, or down below.
/Hans
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Heya Scott, thought you lost us. :shock:

More than likely it's your cable. The rev limiter (actually speed limiter in this mode) is kicking in because it's controlled by the spedometer. If the wire is fine (doubt it...) check the drive down on the axle. I've had the same thing happen with mine.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

throttle
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by throttle » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:16 pm

I see there is a similar topic posted about 10 or 20 threads down.
I swear I used the search function, but obviously, I used it wrong.
Anyway, now you guys know I'm still alive and riding a TRX in Japan.

I also pumped my post count up by about 200%!

Always a post whore... :P

Thanks for the great advice. I'll be checking that cable first thing in the morning.

throttle
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by throttle » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:09 am

It was a bad speedo cable. I'm planning to replace just the inner cable so I don't need to remove the fairing.

All except for 2 inches of the broken cable were stuck inside the outer casing, or sheath, so after removing the cable where it attaches near the wheel, I pulled it up and out of the fairing. I was then able to whip the cable in circles until centrifugal force caused the broken piece, that I couldn't reach, to come shooting out from the outer sheath. 8)

Now I'm just waiting for the new cable from the local Yamaha "You Shop."

Did any of you guys notice how quick those white wheels get dirty? Man they're a pain to clean too.

Anyway, you guys rock! Thanks for the advice.

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Scott,

Go to your local "Autobacs" or "Yellow Hat" and get some of that wheel cleaner called "Purple Magic" or something like that. Works great for getting the black brake dust off and shouldn't hurt the finish. I use it on the calipers mostly as I have painted my wheels black and have a good smooth clear coat on them.

Max
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)