Wilbers fork springs. Setup?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jpe
Site Sponsor

Wilbers fork springs. Setup?

Post by jpe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 am

So, finally gave in and got myself a new set. Much needed upgrade that... :roll:

Question is, anyone here with experience from these Wilbers? What oil grade to use, how much and what settings to start adjusting from? Wilbers recommend 10w and 140 mm air but I'm counting on that being a "soft" setting for allround use, I need something more stable and sensitive for track use.

Have been running the "TRX-files mod" on my standard forks so far which made things better than standard, will it be a good policy to start from with the new springs?

BTW, anyone know how to cure oil leek from the rebound adjuster at the top? Put a new O-ring in when I changed the oil last time but that didn't help much. Something further down in the fork needs changing?
"There is no spoon"

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:22 am

I have the same springs, started out with Wilbers recommendations, and it's for sure an improvement. Since I still wasn't overly impressed, I bought the Racetech cartridge emulators, and now I am a happy camper. I did not fiddle with oil viscosity/volume whatsoever when having only the springs. I guess You know as much or more as I do about the consequencies of altering viscosity/volume... With that said, I am a little bit sceptical about decreasing the viscosity. Although it will make the compression damping more sensitive, and bottoming out can be restricted with more oil, it alters the available rebound damping as well, and especially with stronger springs it can become an issue.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

jpe
Site Sponsor

Post by jpe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:33 am

HansJ wrote:With that said, I am a little bit sceptical about decreasing the viscosity. Although it will make the compression damping more sensitive, and bottoming out can be restricted with more oil, it alters the available rebound damping as well, and especially with stronger springs it can become an issue.
OK, 1 vote for standard :wink:

Agree with you on the "thinner" oil. The damping and allround performance of the fork as it stands are improved, but the rebound have been a bit hard and the bike has had a tendancy to raise the front. That said, using the current mod with new springs is out in the cold snow...

Past season's lesson learned :roll:
"There is no spoon"