sumitomo or "blues"

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

sumitomo or "blues"

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

So what ya reckon is the better break...

sumitomo 6 piston set or the bluespots...??
6 piston set have more contact area to disc, but are they any good those sumi´s??

cheap_trix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cheap_trix » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:37 pm

From what I've heard, 6 piston calipers are too agressive. How many GP or WSB bikes do you see now with 6 potters?

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:31 am

6 pots are very high-maintenance if you want them to work correctly... If all (12) pots aren't moving equally (smoothly), you get the dreaded inconsistent 'bite, bite... handstand' feel. Not only that, but they're heavy, wear pads unevenly (due to the problem above) and just plain all around not worth it.

Four pot 'cast' brembos are cheap these days, or you could get those funky looking 'blue spot' things. :wink:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

cheap_trix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cheap_trix » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:28 am

Perhaps they are making a comeback!
I just saw a pic of the production 2007 R1 and sure enough, it has radially mounted, six pot, black spots. :shock:

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:13 am

Bah!

They're just targeting more squids...

How many pots does the M1 use? :wink:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:39 am

Max wrote:6 pots are very high-maintenance if you want them to work correctly... If all (12) pots aren't moving equally (smoothly), you get the dreaded inconsistent 'bite, bite... handstand' feel. Not only that, but they're heavy, wear pads unevenly (due to the problem above) and just plain all around not worth it.

Four pot 'cast' brembos are cheap these days, or you could get those funky looking 'blue spot' things. :wink:
I´ve had the bluespots with braided hoses almost since i bought the bike but i´m always curious about things, especially when you find something cheapo at the bay!
No stoppies with the spots though! :roll:

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 am

No stoppies with the spots though!
There's something wrong then! My back wheel lifts off with very hard (as in on track braking) braking and that's without trying.

For a stoppie you need to gently apply the brakes so as to load the suspension and then grab a handful. As the springs are already compressed, the weight transfer will cause the back wheel to lift.

Agree with Max on 6 pots and can't imagine why Yamaha are using 6 pot radial brakes on the 2007 R1 - maybe a need to change something (but then I'd have thought a 16 valve head was enough?)

Doyle171
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Doyle171 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:40 am

Killerwhale if you have never had standard brakes you won't have experienced the transformation by fitting blue spots, i agree with the posts above 6 pots = more cash and more tinkering.
Shake & Bake!

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:38 am

Doyle171 wrote:Killerwhale if you have never had standard brakes you won't have experienced the transformation by fitting blue spots, i agree with the posts above 6 pots = more cash and more tinkering.
Said almost ;-)...it was the first mod i did though.
...and i guess they would do with new discs and pads, then we´ll probably go airborne... :lol:

Doyle171
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Doyle171 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:50 am

And we don't want that now do we :D
Shake & Bake!

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Orca!

In the German forum this theme was also discussed many times and there are a handful of people who say stoppies with the standard brakes are no problem at all and that some of the drivers who mounted blue spots probably never get to take advantage of it ... :roll:

I bought mine with the blue spots fitted already and in the very first week I had my first (unintended!) little stoppie in city traffic - but until now I fail to do it intentionally :oops:

So maybe I also (still) belong to the above mentioned group of blue spot drivers :(
(what should be no wonder after 10 years of braking with my CX 500 Euro which is not really fun - but "just" the braking)

But I'm working on it!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: sumitomo or "blues"

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Killerwhale wrote:So what ya reckon is the better break...

sumitomo 6 piston set or the bluespots...??
6 piston set have more contact area to disc, but are they any good those sumi´s??
I might add that i´m no "one wheel driver" so this is not a goal of mine, i like to stay on two wheels...BUT it could be fun to do sometime! :P

pinball wizard

Post by pinball wizard » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Well, having just switched from the 4 pot sumi's to blue spots, i have to say the difference is astounding - even with the standard hoses. If their 6 pot jobbies are anything like as bad as their 4 pot efforts, i for one would stay well clear!! [-X

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 am

Hehehe :lol:

You people with the Sumitomo 4 pot stockers. Please understand that's what we used to race with in the '80s. They first started showing up around 1985 and Yamaha musta ordered a bunch because they bolted them on everything.

If you can get your hands on TZ250 (1986~88) genuine brake pads, you'll at least have some grip (but will still have the spongey feeling). I tried a bunch of aftermarket jobs back then but the TZ pads were the best.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

JL4049

Post by JL4049 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:07 am

I've got stock calipers on mine and I can stand it on the front wheel, they are plenty powerful in the stopping department, you just have to get a decent handful, I normally only two finger brake but panic stops are three or more and this gets the back wheel hopping. They do feel a bit spongy with a handful though so modulating front brake force at near maximum stoppage is a bit tricky, for me anyway. I can't justify spending the coin on something I will get zero benefit from on the road, I just don't do the tracktime to warrant it. They do look grouse though :wink: .