Whats the go with my speedo?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

cheap_trix
TRX-Enthusiast

Whats the go with my speedo?

Post by cheap_trix » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:17 am

Today I jumped on the bike to ride home from work. as I rode off I looked down and my speedo needle was on zero. problem was I was doing about 60km/h.
The light is working, but no speed, no odometer and no trip.
Checked the cable and it appears in secure at both ends and is not damaged or kinked.
Any ideas?

jpe
Site Sponsor

Post by jpe » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:46 am

The wire probably broke inside the housing, unscrew the cable down by the wheel and check if something doesn't fall out...
"There is no spoon"

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 pm

If not the wire, check the drive gear(s) in the spedo drive down on the axel shaft. While at it, make sure the metal ring that drives them is in good order and not bent. If all there and the wire is good then... Your spedometer is porked. :(
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:47 pm

The cable has a habit of letting in water, which sits down the bottom (wheel) end and slowly rusts through the cable. It may look ok, but if you take it off at both ends, and turn it from the top with your fingers/plyers and see if the bottom end turns too. If it does, it's something else, like Max said. If it doesn't it's the cable.
Dave.

PhatVR6

Post by PhatVR6 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:49 pm

I've got a nearly new speedo drive for sale, with a metal gear, not a plastic one that melts.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Hi cheap_trix!

I had such a problem after mounting the front wheel with a new tire. At the first round after about 5 km the speedometer was down.

The reason was that some little stones in the drive gear had blocked it and so the tappets (is this the right word? I mean these two protruding thin tin bars) in the wheel which engage in the grooves (in the drive) were bent.

Straightening the tappets is no difficulty.

Disassembling the drive and assembling it again after cleaning and lubricating it is straight forward. I think this is quite recommended after each (second?) new tire.
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

cheap_trix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cheap_trix » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 am

Well, I got around to inspecting the cable today and sure enough the wire is broken about two inches from the bottom. I guess I will have to ring around for a replacement. Do you have to replace the whole cable (internal wire and sheath)?

Glenn.

cheap_trix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cheap_trix » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:39 am

No drama!
$30.00 from Yamaha West. Will have it Thursday.

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 am

cheap_trix wrote:No drama!
$30.00 from Yamaha West. Will have it Thursday.
I just replaced the inner when I done mine (grease it up first). Saved me having to remove the fairing or developing triple jointed fingers to unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo. Just fed the inner up throught the outer from the wheel end (making sure that the end was hard up on the speedo).
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.