How to check the oil

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Thom
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: How to check the oil

Post by Thom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

cheers mate, that can be tomorrow/fridays job, in the meantime im buying parts.

thom

Thom
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Thom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Ive just had both oil pumps out, oil pump 2 (circulates oil around engine) felt fine, oil pump 1 felt like it was sticking and wouldnt fully rotate. ive got that out now and ive cleaned it, checked the internal clearances and the rotating parts have within spec clearances, im just wondering if it is pumping (although i dont see why it wouldnt). now that it rotates freely i wonder if this was the problem but i cant check until i have the engine back together so ill update when i can. cheers thom

BEERO
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by BEERO » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi All,

I have quick question for the oil pump gears - can we use XTZ 750 metal ones in the TRX engine - a friend of mine had tried this but the engine became noisier, after that sold the bike and we didn't know if this is a good mod - has anyone tried this ?

Thanks! :)

Wally
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Wally » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 pm

were is this second drain plug

zednine
Site Sponsor

Post by zednine » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Wally wrote:were is this second drain plug
depends which one youve found really .......... theres one next to the oil filter housing and one on the side of the sump mate ...... good luck :)

rexxie01
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by rexxie01 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 am

Hi All,

How long should it usually take to fill with oil while doing a change? I've only done mine a couple of times myself but it takes forever to fill, i.e. I fill the funnel 1/2 to 3/4 and wait a couple of minutes for the funnel to slowly drain, then fill the funnel again etc. It seems (from memmory) to take a half hour or so to fill. Is that normal (no one from a mechanics has ever mentioned that there's a possible problem after filling it)??

Paul O

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 am

Just pull the funnell out a little if its tapered and sealing the oil inlet from breathing , as your trying to place the oil into the sump the air is being displaced and needs to go somewhere so just break that seal between the funnel and the sump inlet instead of relying on it to bubble out through the oil. It will just pour in over a matter of a few seconds :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

jamie2476
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jamie2476 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:42 pm

yeh but...........isn't it important to check the oil level BEFORE you ride? I think in the Yamaha info it says to warm the engine but you wouldn't want to stress it.
Sorry just a thought!

captainsteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by captainsteve » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:51 am

andyaber wrote:Thanks Phuk, someone told me to be meticulous about oil level (if anything, just above the mark) when i bought the bike. I lost my first engine to oil starvation at the cam due to the pick up in the oil tank being blocked. It had a beard like Brian Blessed and had been that way when I bought it. I made sure that the replacement engine was clear and regularly checked level since, but apparently wrongly. Is the effect of too much oil reduced by the dry sump/oil tank configuration?

Hello, Where should I look for Brian's beard? :) I suspect my trx has a similar problem. I had to swap the head on mine last year due to ruined camshaft bearing surfaces and never really worked out the cause. The oil system is complicated and I think yamaha's manual could do with some more detail. In the past i've let mine idle, topped it up accordingly, gone out for a ride and stopped an hour later to realize it is overflowing. I think the british bike people call it dry sumping. Every trx rider I see, I ask them how to check the oil, everybody has a slightly different answer. My own "2 cent" is that the oil level will not go up once the engine is stopped.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 am

Given that the sight glass is on the tank, and the tank is above the engine, and that the pump is driven by the engine, why would anyone think that the oil level would rise after the engine has stopped?
It's a Goldilocks engine.
Too little oil and you will run a bearing sooner or later.
Too much oil and you will blow the excess out the crank breather and into the airbox. It gets messy.
Treat it just right and it'll all be good.
Call it character.
The book says to check the level after stopping the bike on a level surface.
The simplest procedure is to warm the bike up, stop it, park on a rear stand the ensure it is vertical, then check the sight glass.
Rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:24 am

Checking the oil window is no guarantee that the oil level is correct. Some of these bikes are over 20years old and have never had the oil system cleaned or serviced. The oil tank has a filter on the outlet side that I can put money on has never been cleaned and the return valve in the side case is also prone to leaking and once again....has it ever been changed? Unless you know the condition of these two then the oil window is just a guess...

This is the filter from another Yamaha (1992) that has the same dry sump style system. It's also on the outlet from the oil tank and as a result the head was not getting any oil, it still had the factory witness paint on the nut, in 27years had never been cleaned. Every time you open up the oil system (change filter, add oil etc) dust and small children get in, the oil filter only catches what the pump delivers to it, as a result of this clogged filter, one totally stuffed head.

Next time you do and oil change or an engine service...
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:08 pm

So is this inside the tank?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:46 am

Snod Blatter wrote:So is this inside the tank?

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Aha! And quite possible to do with the motor in the frame?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:Aha! And quite possible to do with the motor in the frame?
Yes, easy but a bit messy :D