How to check the oil

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Re: How to check the oil

Post by HolerTogni » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Rod.s!

Many thanks for pointing us to this (could be an) issue!

I took the liberty and linked your post in the German TRX-forum, as well as copied your pics there - hope (very much) that this is ok with you.

"Checking this at the next oil change"-greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

DavidE
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by DavidE » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 am

Is the clogged filter Rod mentions below a problem seen by others in the TRX?
I'm about to do an oil change and will inspect the oil tank outlet filter if I can loosen the two flange bolts holding it in (hopefully the WD40 applied a week ago will help).
While I'm here, what new oil to use? Standard Aus delivered June 1996 TRX with 68,000 km. Used very little oil in the 3 months and 2000 km I've had it (yes it does have oil in it and always shows at halfway mark on the sight glass). Recreational riding, never in anger and rarely near the redline, in a Victorian summer (start the jokes). Cheers David

Postby Rod.s » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Checking the oil window is no guarantee that the oil level is correct. Some of these bikes are over 20years old and have never had the oil system cleaned or serviced. The oil tank has a filter on the outlet side that I can put money on has never been cleaned and the return valve in the side case is also prone to leaking and once again....has it ever been changed? Unless you know the condition of these two then the oil window is just a guess...

This is the filter from another Yamaha (1992) that has the same dry sump style system. It's also on the outlet from the oil tank and as a result the head was not getting any oil, it still had the factory witness paint on the nut, in 27years had never been cleaned. Every time you open up the oil system (change filter, add oil etc) dust and small children get in, the oil filter only catches what the pump delivers to it, as a result of this clogged filter, one totally stuffed head