Battery Charger - advice please

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Jak
Site Administrator

Battery Charger - advice please

Post by Jak » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 pm

OK so my battery's flat ... found that out after a trouble-free trip across town to visit a customer on a crappy industrial estate. Good job I found someone happy to bump start me :? coz there's no way I was leaving her there to be abused!!!!

So now I've gotta go and buy a battery charger .... BUT .... I have absolutely no idea what to look for. Compared to most of you guys I'm totally useless when it comes to looking after my bikes - but I am trying to get better!!

It's miles to the nearest bike place, so I'm stuck shopping at Halfords. I don't want to go in there completely clueless and be patronised by some snotty little cage-driving chav ... :roll: :lol:

What do I buy? or more importantly ... what DON'T I buy? (or are all battery chargers the same).
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

punica78
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by punica78 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:38 pm

An Optimate III!

That's what you need, hoping that your battery isn't completly dead.

5 May 2006: Zolder
2 September 2006: Folembray

"Fortitudo. Disciplina. Constantia. Patientia. Contemptus Mortis. Amor Gloriae. Amor Victoriae!"

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi Jak!

In any case you need a "special" charger - not any will do the job. It has to be suitable for maintenance-free gel batteries or micro-fleece batteries.

The OptiMate III will do the job.

I got myself a Saito ProCharger (EUR 49,95)
- slightly cheaper than the OptiMate III (EUR 55,95) at Louis (a German accessories seller)

and much more LEDs on it :roll: !

Greetings from Munich!
Last edited by HolerTogni on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:13 am

Not to be the party pooper but, if it's gone tick-tick-tick dead you should probably think about getting a new battery. A charger might get you out of the garage, but you'll probably be needing an army of pushers following you around shortly. :(
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 am

Go for an Optimate or Oximiser - should get one on ebay for about £20

They trickle charge all the time and keep your battery tip top - I swear by them. They will also 'recover' dead batteries.

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:14 am

In fact you can get an Optimiser (which is what I've got and can recommend) for exactly £20 + £4.50 postage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OXFORD-OXIMISER-T ... dZViewItem

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:43 am

Well I'm hoping the battery's not completely dead - it's only a year old. Even if it is dead it's probably worth buying a battery charger.

Trickle charger? mmm good idea although I don't have electric in my garage :( (but my neighbour has said I can swing an extension lead through the roof space and use his 8) ).

Thanks for the link Phuk, I think I may well give them some money - far easier than trying to find somewhere local to buy one!
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:53 am

The trickle-chargers are great, but You can manage with something cheap as well. As long as Your bike charges the battery properly, You'll only need to re-charge the battery now and then if the bike's standing still for a longer period (like during the snow season here in Sweden...). I use a really cheap battery-charger for this, and I haven't noticed any disadvantages with it so far. Depends on Your needs really. But be sure to get one for bikes though, the cheaper ones intended for car batterys could possibly harm the battery (I guess?). And if You want to be on the safe side, and have the cash, buy one of the ones mentioned above!

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:58 pm

HansJ wrote: But be sure to get one for bikes though, the cheaper ones intended for car batterys could possibly harm the battery (I guess?). And if You want to be on the safe side, and have the cash, buy one of the ones mentioned above!
That was what was bugging me ... I had a feeling I shouldn't just buy any old charger from a car place. But it's a trek to the nearest bike place and they're totally overpriced ... figured I'd get better advice here than the shops locally.

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:55 am

Can You order from Hein Gericke? I think they have shops in the UK as well. I have a charger similar to the one for 4.95 Euros. It's enough for my purposes, but of course there are better ones...
http://www.hein-gericke-store.com/wShop ... or=2310084

Edit: link doesn't work, put in "ladege" in the box that says "suche", and You'll see a list of chargers, in the range from 5 Euros to 70...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Hein Gericke is the shop I'd have gone to but it's 30 boring miles away and I can't be bothered! Not sure if you can order from them over here.

But ........ I bought one from that link Phuk put up ... ordered and paid yesterday afternoon, it arrived this morning :shock:
http://www.forestedge-retail.co.uk/ is their website
well impressed with the service :notworthy:

phuk72

Post by phuk72 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:13 am

I've bought from them before and the service is impressive