Exhaust packing

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Exhaust packing

Post by bobtrx » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:14 pm

I'm chasing steel wool to repack the Over mufflers ,as thats what is in it at present ,anyone know of an outlet or should I go to fibre glass matt as I have done with other mufflers
catch ewe later bob

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:40 pm

You can buy it by the kilo at Bunnings or similar Hardware warehouse. Get the stainless stuff.

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Post by bobtrx » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks Waz I will check it out friday when I can get to a Bunnings store , wonder if the sales people will know its temp range ? While the mufflers are off its time to work out a complete system under the bike ( Buell) like
catch ewe later bob

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 pm

bobtrx wrote:Thanks Waz I will check it out friday when I can get to a Bunnings store , wonder if the sales people will know its temp range ? While the mufflers are off its time to work out a complete system under the bike ( Buell) like
Get a course grade, the finer stuff does seem to "burn off" quicker.
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:48 am

Waz wrote:
bobtrx wrote:Thanks Waz I will check it out friday when I can get to a Bunnings store , wonder if the sales people will know its temp range ? While the mufflers are off its time to work out a complete system under the bike ( Buell) like
Get a course grade, the finer stuff does seem to "burn off" quicker.
Hi Waz
whats involved in repacking these things. I have a set of supertrapps that are somewhat noisier than is social (askGlen1TRX) and the thort was to try some fibreglass packing to see if I could make them more social
Cheers Ash

bobtrx
Site Sponsor

Post by bobtrx » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:39 am

On closer inspection the inner baffle pipe had a layer of steel wool and I found a trace of fibre glass mat , so now I will reuse the steel wool and repack with new fibre glass mat , I have in the past brought matting and rivets from MEGACYCLE in melb when I repacked the other cans I've got , I don't think the steel wool from hardware would last long.
catch ewe later bob

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:20 pm

From my recent experience repacking my Wolf cans it makes very little
difference to the "noise". To reduce noise you will probably have to resort to some sort of Decibel killer device. You need to slow the gas down, unfortunately this has some effect on performance.
I used Glass fibre insulation in mine which was similar to the original packing, which tends to get pushed and compacted into the back end of the can.
dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project