Suspensions set up...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Suspensions set up...

Post by idl1975 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 am

TWISTEDTWIN wrote:Ok then,
I will get the rear shock checked and hauled if necessary, front fork oil on the to do list as well, it seems a good starting point.
After that, if my mercurial riding skills :^o need more, I will start playing with the rest!

I read (I think on mcn...) that in terms of tyre choice , that a set of Metzeler Sportec M1 work very well ...I don't want to mix topics but while we are at it....it is still a handling issue!! :)

Cheers
It's a good tyre, but you may have a job finding any as they've been replaced by M3s.

TRXs don't seem to be that finicky about tyres. I think there seem to be as many opinions on tyres as TRX riders. Except that most agree that the original Macadams are good only for doing burnouts and keeping your rims off the tarmac.
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm

idl1975 wrote:
phuk72 wrote:
HansJ wrote: It was a real AHA moment after my first testride after having rebuilt my rear shock...
You started singing "Take on me"?
If I recall the video, it would be a pretty scary experience having an AHA moment. :D
Mmm... Morten Harket :oops: Smash-Hits-tastic!

Anyway, back on topic. What they all said :withstupid:

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm

the dunlop qualifier that trixynut had on the back of his bike that i now have :lol: is fantastic
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 pm

steve speed wrote:the dunlop qualifier that trixynut had on the back of his bike that i now have :lol: is fantastic
I also run Q´s on mine and their top....will test their dual compound next time i think though....rear is flat due to tourque way fast! 8)

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Killerwhale wrote:
steve speed wrote:the dunlop qualifier that trixynut had on the back of his bike that i now have :lol: is fantastic
I also run Q´s on mine and their top....will test their dual compound next time i think though....rear is flat due to tourque way fast! 8)
My mate has just put dual compound dunlops on his thunderace. The lasted 400 miles beforehe took them off and sold them on ebay. he said they span up in the wet and didn't feel nice when he was giving it some

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 pm

anyone tried the diablo rosso,s

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:46 am

phuk72 wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:
My mate has just put dual compound dunlops on his thunderace. The lasted 400 miles beforehe took them off and sold them on ebay. he said they span up in the wet and didn't feel nice when he was giving it some
Ain´t going that way then!! Strange you hear good things and then just B A D!

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 am

I must have a "agreewithPhukweek", I have heard the same.

KW, that's how it goes when listening to Ghostrider. I don't believe a word I read/hear from him :) Too much personal interest in his opinions...
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:34 pm

steve speed wrote:anyone tried the diablo rosso,s
It's a Diablo, so it will be the dog's proverbials. :D
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.

bevie
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bevie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

phuk72 wrote:Whereas I agree whole heartedly with the above, everyone appears to be ignoring what steve raised.

The TRX is over 10 years old and the standard suspension WILL be in need of a refresh. Chances are that the fork oil has never been changed and the rear shock will be way past its best.

Standard suspension, despite what some would have you believe, isn't actually that bad.

I'd suggest spending £150 on having your rear shock serviced/rebuilt and changing the fork oil. Then (and only then) should you start adjusting the settings.

If you haven't got £150 then at least change the fork oil.

THEN, have a go at setting the sag (search is your friend :wink: )
Hi phuk,
Could you recommend anywhere I could send my rear shock to for a service as you said it,s getting tired now and needs refreshed going to do it over the winter and prefer to send it to somebody who knows what their doing and recommended.
Cheers.
#-o

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am

bevie wrote: Hi phuk,
Could you recommend anywhere I could send my rear shock to for a service as you said it,s getting tired now and needs refreshed going to do it over the winter and prefer to send it to somebody who knows what their doing and recommended.
Cheers.
#-o

It may be worth starting a new thread on this because opinions vary wildly. I have had good epxerineces with Maxton but others bad.

Any of the suspension gurus (e.g. Kais, Maxton etc.) will look at it but they tend to be expensive. Also, have a chat with Rob at (IIRC) RHJ Superbikes at Mallory Park - he comes recommended

intra
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by intra » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 pm

This might help you out a bit chief.

http://www.teknikracing.com/s.nl;jsessi ... bNr0?sc=12

duibhceK
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by duibhceK » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:40 pm

steve speed wrote:anyone tried the diablo rosso,s
I currently have them on the track TRX. They turn in a little slower than the previous Dunlop GP Racers I was using but a very decent tyre nonetheless. Plus it offers better grip at lower temperatures (think 4-5 C on the track).
I am not crazy, I'm an airplane!

history: XJ600S Diversion 94 | XJ900S Diversion 97 | SV650S 01
current: XTZ660 Ténéré 08 | TDM900 04 | TRX850 96

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:22 pm

phuk72 wrote:
Killerwhale wrote:
I've got Qualifiers on my Shiver and they are fine in the dry but possibly the worst tyre I've ever had in the wet.

Diablos on the Tuono made me feel like a real hero primarily because they wore out so damn fast.

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:51 pm

"Diablos on the Tuono made me feel like a real hero primarily because they wore out so damn fast"

i wonder if it could be something to do with the 125bhp of madness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: