Cooling Fan

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Cooling Fan

Post by Red Rex » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:54 pm

Just a general query for the Northern European owner-riders... In nearly 20 years of ownership here in the UK it has only ONCE got hot enough in the summer (and I was stuck in traffic with the engine running) for the cooling fan to kick in. (For a minute I wondered what the strange whirring noise was!)
Can it be removed and put on the spare parts shelf to give a bit more access when removing / refitting spark plugs ???
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Re: Cooling Fan

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Hi Red Rex!

Mine kicks in every time when I got stuck in traffic a little longer, i.e., about a dozen times since I bought it 2005 ('cause I try to avoid riding in town).

(that said, I even tinkered a switch to put it on manually when the temperature rises above 90 °C for keeping the engine in a more constant range of temperature)

On the other hand, my Race-TRiXie has got its fan and its affiliates removed.
And every time I stand in the starting grid after the warm-up lap I have a little nervous eye on the temperature gauge ...

In summary, I wouldn't recommend removing the fan from a street legal bike used in usual traffic.

"Trying to keep cool"-greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:44 pm

It's that time again …
I have owned (and loved) my TRX for over 20 years now but once in a while I HATE it !!
Yes, I have just had to remove and clean the spark plugs and I will take this opportunity once again to curse that 'Spawn of the Devil' designer who decided that the frame needed a brace directly above the spark plugs.
I am going to wash and dress my wounds now and retire to the front room with a beer and watch some bike racing on the TV
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:28 pm

#-o :roll:

But be reassured that many many cars and even some other bikes are even harder in accessing the vital bits of the engine, say oil filter or, yes, spark plugs.

So well done you, enjoy your beer and let time do its job being a healer.

Sympathizing greets from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)