Ignition switch woes

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Cloot
TRX-Enthusiast

Ignition switch woes

Post by Cloot » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:31 pm

How do.

Just gone to change my ignition switch as mine is very worn and I fear the switch will snap soon as it's hit or miss if it'll turn on the first or twenty first try!!

Anyway first of all I can't get the security bolts out, any tips please?

And the switch I bought is a two plug, six cable switch and mine being a JDM model has one four pin plug.

Can I chop the cable/ plug off the old switch and solder the cables to the new six cable loom.

If so what cables go to what please?

Cheers me dears, Adam 8) 8) 8)

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Ignition switch woes

Post by jpe70 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 pm

First question is easy. Just drill the heads off the bolts starting with a small drill to get it centered and finishing with a 6 mm until the heads loosen and catches on the drill. Now just pull the lock off and usually the bolts are loose enough to wind out by hand or using a vice. They are common M6 just with special head.

Two. Can't really say, but generally just cut and weld. It's a very simple electrical system and the ignition switch mainly connects ignition and light to power not much else. I ditched mine completely and just have a set of buttons on my left handlebar. Red is main power, else is accessories, there are digital manuals with colored schematics available for download (here?).

Cheers!
Cloot wrote:How do.

Just gone to change my ignition switch as mine is very worn and I fear the switch will snap soon as it's hit or miss if it'll turn on the first or twenty first try!!

Anyway first of all I can't get the security bolts out, any tips please?

And the switch I bought is a two plug, six cable switch and mine being a JDM model has one four pin plug.

Can I chop the cable/ plug off the old switch and solder the cables to the new six cable loom.

If so what cables go to what please?

Cheers me dears, Adam 8) 8) 8)

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 pm

This should help you wire in the new switch and cabling: http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 37&t=10256
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Cloot
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Cloot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Cheers all sorted now.

The security bolts were a pain in the arse but the cables were easy to sort, just needed to find the lighting circuit cables and snip them off.

So she lives again 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)