valve timing

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Smiffy
TRX-Enthusiast

valve timing

Post by Smiffy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Hello it's me again. I'm pullin' my hair out here. Can't get the static timing right, changed the cam chain but still not in the right place on the marks. Do I take the file to the sprockets. Was running fine before I did the valve clearances which were so tight I couldn't get a gauge in??? WFT is going on?????? Starts fine but when I blip the throttle it pops and spits and also gets hot. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: valve timing

Post by Tealman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Watching with interest :happy1: How did you resolve the issue of the tight inlet cam?

Smiffy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Smiffy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:57 pm

Ha Ha!!! Don't know if I have until I get the bloody thing going and go down the road and see if the whole lot locks up and kills the motor. At my wits end!!!!!

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:44 pm

Good luck - sure it'll be fine. So when you took the inlet cam out were the journals OK? No 1 cylinder on mine was the same as yours, no gaps, and the journals quite scored. I'm in the process of cleaning them up to 'free up' the cam - all being done in the knowledge that I will need a replacement head and later valves at some point.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:26 am

No picture of how the marks were??

I've never had the marks line up either but then I've never fitted a new chain.. I gave up and went with this:

Moving round a tooth was too far. She runs fine!
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:37 am

with a new chain the marks should line up pretty much perfectly, but there are several reference points to check against. There are the marks on the cam gears, but also the corresponding maks on the cams and the holes in the cams. Also counting the links betweens the cams and make sure you are on the right stroke when you like the timing mark up on the crank
Paul

Smiffy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Smiffy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:22 pm

so it's a long time comin'.... My seven year old daughter made a Willow Wand and I waved it and said a little prayer..... And what do you know? It bloody well fired into life. Keep the wand under pillion pad.
Had a trackday at Donnington 14th sept 2020 F*****' Awesome. Redline every gear,every part of the track,turned my tyres to liquid.what more does one want.. As a side does anyone know where I can get a full bore exhaust made????