VALVE CLEARANCES - OH NO.......

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: VALVE CLEARANCES - OH NO.......

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Tealman wrote: Who's Pieter - is there a company name to make him easier to find?
Yes: http://www.hps-motoren.nl/
I've seen from an old thread that forum member sanddune51 was selling oversized valves so I've PM'd him to see whether he has any left.
I don’t think Mark (Sanddune51) has anything left. But I always assumed that Pieter (HPS) got the valves from Mark (Sanddune51). But then again, assumption is the mother of all....

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 am

I've no doubt that I'll be changing the head and valves at some point but, for the time being, inlet cam journals have been cleaned up. The cams have been fitted and the chain went on and lined up perfectly with the various reference points. Noted that the exhaust cam is 'off valve' when in the correct position, whereas the inlet is 'on valve' so took a little effort to line up. 5 of the inlet valves have been re-shimmed on the basis that the valve gaps were at zero, whereas there may have been positive pressure on the buckets. Tomorrow I'll re-fit the cam chain tensioner, rotate the motor a few times and check the clearances. I may get lucky and find that all are correct, but I'd be happy with clearances I can at least measure, even though the cam will need to come out again.

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Have checked the gaps and, as suspected, further adjustment is needed. I've got my eye on a 'good' 1991 TDM 850 head - did that also suffer from 'soft' valves?

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm

The valves were revised in 1997, I wouldn't use anything earlier than that. If you find yourself looking at a '97 head and wondering if it's okay or not it is usually quite clear when the valves have "sunk" into the seat, you can barely see where the valve ends and the seat begins. The later good heads all have much more prominent valves.

You never hear much about the Mk1, I dunno if perhaps they were okay because the cams were milder?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:43 pm

Any good? I've asked for clear pictures of the cam journals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM-8 ... 1438.l2649

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 am

Same issues with the valves on the 750,850 up till 97
laughter is the best medicine

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:24 am

From recollection I paid about AU$25 for each of the inlet valves, granted there are 6 of them but not prohibitively expensive
Paul

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 pm

Finally managed to get out for a short spin today on a very naked looking TRX - happy to report that it's running well and seems a little more punchy than it was prior to valve adjustment. Plan is to put some miles on it now and then take another look at the journals/gaps in the autumn. I am on the lookout for another 'good' head so if anyone has one they're looking to sell please let me know.