Retard Alert! Snapped coolant drain plug.

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Retard Alert! Snapped coolant drain plug.

Post by Trx envy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 am

The one behind the left header. I swear i did not over tighten. Anyway, the head snapped off, ok no worries, break out the eazy outs, smallest one already has its tip snapped off, no matter, just use the next size up!, So i start drilling it with a 3mm bit which turns out to be blunt, then in retard fashion i reach for a much better 1/8" bit designed for hi tensile and stainless, but being actually sharp and one size up ended up screwing the broken plug screw halfway in,, maybe 8mm in from the lip. The easy out wont back it out. Tried a snapped off drill bit, that wont back it out either.
Shit out of ideas at this stage. If i try to drill it it will most likely screw itself into the water cavity. Little help? If it did fall inside the block, will it do much damage? or will it just find a resting place?

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Retard Alert! Snapped coolant drain plug.

Post by dicky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:24 am

Left hand twist drill bits are what you should use to drill before the ezy-out, but they are rather hard to find.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 am

^ good call. I wish i had thought of that. Bit of an update, picked up the correct size easy out and bit, drilled the bolt all the way through (was shorter than i thought) long story short, got it most the way out before i snapped the easy out. Its turtle necking enought that i might be able to build it up with the MIG until i can plug weld a flange nut on there. Im defeated for now though.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 am

If you do ever find LH drill bits, buy them regardless of cost or condition, they are worth their weight in gold for getting snapped bolts out.
Many times you won't even need the ezy-out, the drill will unthread the stub of the bolt.
You won't find them at Bunnings, but Sutton and Irwin make them so they should be available at more serious engineering suppliers.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 am

dicky wrote:If you do ever find LH drill bits, buy them regardless of cost or condition, they are worth their weight in gold for getting snapped bolts out.
Many times you won't even need the ezy-out, the drill will unthread the stub of the bolt.
You won't find them at Bunnings, but Sutton and Irwin make them so they should be available at more serious engineering suppliers.
Yeah the bearing shop and bolt shops up the road from me always have awesome things like that. Will keep an eye out.
Bit of an update; tried welding, but then water decided to start coming out again so that did f* all, but may have loosened it a tad. Ended up making a tiny cold chisel out of one of the easy outs which i was able to get half a turn out of. Need to take the headers off to keep going and they wont come off without taking most of the rest of the zorst off so too hard basket for now, been drinking all day and its dinner time.

I think i fugged up in three main areas;
started off with too blunt and too big a bit
changed to sharper but slightly bigger bit which screwed the screw in
finally got correct bit and easy out but didnt clean the swath out of the threads
Snapped new easy out because grabbing on swath in threads and also should have removed exhaust to get a straight shot.

Moral of the story; If you snap a bolt you only get one shot so dont fuk around with half measures.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Moral of the story...
Preparation, preparation, preparation.....
Tension wrench and specs
laughter is the best medicine

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm

^Torque wrench and specs for sure but pretty sure a previous owner or apprentice mechanic was a bit ham fisted on a bunch of m6 hardware on this bike.