Fuel pump

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

ironhorse
TRX-Enthusiast

Fuel pump

Post by ironhorse » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Hello wondering if anyone can help , my 97 TRX stalled while out on a run and wouldn't start , it happened before then started again after 5 mins but this time no such luck . Since getting her ferried home i've changed the plugs , replaced battery and put fresh fuel in , also replaced ignition as old one really sticky , she tried to start but then died again even though new battery . I left her overnight and tried again next day but noticed all fuel had somehow leaked out , i read on here that happens when you leave the bike on prime [which i did] but how does this happen?
I'm thinking to look at fuel pump next as i read that a fuel pump on the way out can be noisy and since i got the bike recently i noticed right of that there was what i thought was rather loud driveline noise [but do vacuum pumps get noisy when failing or is that an electric pump telltale?]

Is there a way to test the pump off the bike?
The air filter is like new. Previous owner cleaned carbs , was a retired mechanic who spent a bit of money on the bike including new rear shock , ohlins forks springs and fork emulators , braided hoses , blue spots and numerous odds and sods bike says 23000 miles but with ten owners that might be wishful thinking. Any pointers in the right direction much welcomed , cheers Bob.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Fuel pump

Post by dicky » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Did you see where all the fuel had leaked out from?
The fuel tap is a common leak point. It's crap, replace it with one that actually shuts off.
Next point is the float needle valve, and after that you have fuel leaking directly into the cylinders, which can be a catastrophic failure if you crank the engine and get hydraulic lock and bend the conrod or crank.
It could be that the tap and float are leaking and the fuel came out the carb overflow. Check that the cylinders are not full as well before you try and start it.
The actual fuel pump has not been a cause for concern so far.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

ironhorse
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Fuel pump

Post by ironhorse » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply dicky, i liked this bike so much i bought a mint one to keep as standard and was planning to custom this one slightly as its already changed colour and had the original damaged fairing replaced with a pattern one. Will look into your suggestions over winter . The bike is kept outside undercover , the ground is kind of gravely earth , grass . I could smell the fuel but couldnt see it on the ground as mustve drained /sunk in, so dont know where it leaked from . I think there are threads re alternative fuel taps , i'll check these out . To be honest it sounds as though i might have to save up and get someone to look at it as it sounds as though its getting a bit beyond me , i can tinker with basic stuff following haynes manual but lack of garage means i only do this on dry sunny days when time allows and in Scotland that means not a lot . I'm off this coming week so will try to get pics up of both bikes just in case any ones interested.