R6 swing-arm question

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

R6 swing-arm question

Post by Racer-unk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

I know many have used the 2007 R6 swing-arm. Just have not found pics on the builds
My question is does one used it as is, or is it necessary to remove the bolt-mount from Standard TRX and weld onto R6 swing-arm.
Off the cuff, is the R6 arm shorter?

Thanks

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: R6 swing-arm question

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 am

Longer.
The reason being the motor/frame sits further forward on the R6 hence the longer arm to get the required wheel base for stability.
This also impacts on the damping settings the R6 shock due to leverage factor, plus the linear relay arm compared to the progressive fitted to the trx. Also why the R6 has a heavier spring rate.
laughter is the best medicine

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 pm

so heavier spring rate in standard swing arm is a good thing for my 105 Kg weight. Will see how sag settings go and then see where to from there. R6 swing is a nice to have, but not a necessity. thanks again

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am

Std 06 R6 spring rate is a 0.98 .
I’m 80kg and shock set for trackdays and run a 1.1 on the rear with a 25kg lighter TRX
Just bite the Bullet and buy an aftermarket shock sprung to your weight because it won’t take long to pay itself off just on Tyre wear and hopefully less delving into the parts bin for race glass, pegs, levers and bars.
laughter is the best medicine