Oil Sight Glass Level

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Rob Tee Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Oil Sight Glass Level

Post by Rob Tee Rex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Everybody

This might be a strange question but how may MIlliliters or litre of oil is there
From the low level of the sight glass to the high level of the sight glass?

Thanks

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Re: Oil Sight Glass Level

Post by Con Rod » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:36 pm

close to a 500ml from my experience, but its far from an exact science on the TRX, as you could be running at the bottom of the window, top it up, go for a ride and then find you are above the window.
Paul

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 pm

I put in 500 ml also but found most times being over the mark so now I put in 300-350 ml and always get close

Rob Tee Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Rob Tee Rex » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for the Reply

I’ve just brought my TRX I sent it to the Mecanic and got it serviced and they said to keep an eye
On the oil level it’s useing oil so anyway I took it for a ride today pulled over and checked
It and yes it’s hard to check it by yourself holding it level and looking at the sight glass Haha
When I got home I put it on the rear stand on level ground the and hole glass was filled with oil
So i took it off the stand and put a sprit level on it and check it and the glass was still full so my question
Is should I drain some out or is this a common thing ?

Cheers

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:55 pm

How far from upright does it have to be before you start to see the top of the oil? I once overfilled mine to the point where I could only see a gap at the top of the sight glass when it was about halfway to being on the sidestand, it blew a little oil out past the rubber half moons next to the cams but nothing worse. Thankfully (?) all the extra oil disappeared out the exhaust over the following 500 miles or so..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:39 am

yes I wouldn't worry about having extra oil in the tank, its a dry sump so it will only pump the oil it needs.
Paul