Replace your fuel hose

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Replace your fuel hose

Post by dicky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:43 am

Today was a nice day in Melbourne. Well, nice for the middle of winter. It was sunny and not too cold.
Time to blow the cobwebs of the TRX and do the good son routine and visit my Mum.
One roast lunch later, I'm stopped at an intersection waiting for the lights to change and a guy on big BM adventure bike pulls up next to me.
He points to the ground and yells out that my bike is leaking something.
So, lights change, take off, find a spot to pull over, get off for a look...
Fark!
The fuel hose from the petcock to the pump is split and pissing fuel all over the back of the engine, then dripping down onto the exhaust.
I managed to get home by running on the fuel in the float bowls then turning the fuel tap back on for a few seconds to refill them.
I guess that along with plastics like the air-cut valve cover, rubbers like the fuel hose, carb inlet stub mounts, etc will also be starting to perish.
Who thought that owning a TRX would be like caring for a vintage car?
dicky
OOOSDC #5

nr
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Replace your fuel hose

Post by nr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Mine just did exactly the same thing today - but I think I dodged a bullet there... On Saturday, I rode 900kms back home from a holiday in France. Parked the bike up. Today, topped up the oil, checked a few things over, and started it up to make sure all was OK. Straight away I could smell petrol, and there was a good litre on the floor in about five seconds of running.

Bloody glad that happened in my garage, and not at 130km/h on the A26 in France!

At the moment I've just replaced it was some 5/16ths fuel hose that I softened with a hot air gun to get it to fit. The Yamaha part (4NX-24311-00) is no longer available - is there anything else that works that anyone knows of?

(Going off topic - been a good couple of weeks in TRX-world. Firstly did a couple of days at Cadwell Park, got the pipes down on both sides, then did about 2500kms last week through France, with a lovely little jaunt over the Jura mountains in the company of a lovely Duc 748R and an utterly mental GSX-R1216 powered Katana. I'll try to post some photos somewhere!)

Ta,

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 pm

I have replaced the original hose with a piece of normal fuel line but much longer than the original. It is coiled under the tank so that you can lift the tank on the pivot and not have to remove the hose.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:38 am

dicky wrote:I have replaced the original hose with a piece of normal fuel line but much longer than the original. It is coiled under the tank so that you can lift the tank on the pivot and not have to remove the hose.
I did the same and it is definitely the way to go. I did initially have some issues with the new longer hose kinking when it got hot but I used the spring coil that it on the stock rubber rear brake hose around the fuel line which sorted it
Paul