Surging again, looked at threads but mine issa bitta special

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Surging again, looked at threads but mine issa bitta special

Post by Killerwhale » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:52 pm

So, most know the specs...TDM900 enjun, TRX ported head, keihin flatslides, tornados, akra 2-1...bla bla bla
It has run great for a couple of years and nothing done to it, last year i covered like 500km due to shitty weather etc.
I handicapadjusted the bike with high bars a while back so i could keep it....

All of a sudden today it started surging quite bad at constant throttle, felt like fuel starvation so turned the tap but no go...
Tried givin it the beans and then it felt more like it did not fire all times it should (hesitation). Once breaking for a bus it died when putting first gear in.
I HAVE had issues with the quickshifter but fixed and it it works again, maybe not related but when testing i had like 4th or 5th gear in and started the bike and there where quite some drag....bike wanted to pull forward although clutch fully pulled....dont do that in 1st.

What say you? "Buy a new bike the junk is 20 years old!!"?? :shock:

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: Surging again, looked at threads but mine issa bitta spe

Post by Killerwhale » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Could this be happening due to moisture inside the quickshifter? Creeping current?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Disconnect quickshifter to see if this eliminate the problem. I wired mine in with a 2 pin connector so I don’t have to go into the software to disconnect.
If not look at water in fuel. Dump fuel from tank and drain carburettors.
laughter is the best medicine

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:01 am

Fuel cap breather was my problem.

Only took me two years to find it was the crap Chinese cap, found out after 200 k ride, slowing down the vacuum in the tank overcame the fuel pump and spluttered to a halt,
put my hand on the top of the tank and it depressed, opened tank cap and a rush of air into tank and top of tank popped back up. Problem solved.

Hope your problem is as simple, but easier to diagnose.
Cheers,
Alan.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 am

One of the spare tanks I have suffered the same fate Allen with a cheap fuel cap.
Put it on to try it before a track day and started carrying on 100km down the road.
Opened the fuel cap to check fuel level and same rush of air.
I drilled the breather hole in the cap a little larger to fix things but now if the tank tips on its side it pisses fuel out from around the cap.
So if it leaks out, I figure water can leak in on a wet ride day.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:One of the spare tanks I have suffered the same fate Allen with a cheap fuel cap.
Put it on to try it before a track day and started carrying on 100km down the road.
Opened the fuel cap to check fuel level and same rush of air.
I drilled the breather hole in the cap a little larger to fix things but now if the tank tips on its side it pisses fuel out from around the cap.
So if it leaks out, I figure water can leak in on a wet ride day.
I NEVER ride in the wet (well, thats a lie but you know) and bike´s in the garage at nighttime.
Going to check the QS, bought waterproof 2-pin contacts for the future as well, probably going to change my old cordona switch for an ignitech as well.
Got a good ol fuel/carb cleaner i used for many years wich has worked a charm so i´ll put that into fuel. Can add that i have always used shell v-power fuel for as little as possible of methanol...

I DID remember the fuelcap thing now when it was brought up again, must be checked as well as it´s an original but not MY original....so

Cobba: Expected lifetime of aftermarket coils? Coilleads? I have the coilleads wich came with the dynatek´s but they must have been on the bike for.....8 years.....

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am

Cheap and easy to change coil leads as it screws into the plug caps and you just need a couple of terminal ends for the Dynatek coil ends.
I'm sure you can find some copper core HT leads online over your way Killer.
Your guess is as good as mine on the life expectancy of coils...
Plenty of std TRX's out there still running std coils but plenty that have failed too..

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

SO, problem probably found. No go on the tips.
Stopped for a piss, and thought i just might use the bright light wich shan at the left side of bike and fiddle a bit with the cables as not to long ago i mounted the fairing 4cm forward.
Looked ok but i saw that the fan looked strangely white-isch. And long story short, sometime over the years the cable tie for left HT lead gave up and when i was fettling with fairing the lead dropped and layed on the fan and that day out the fan must have kicked in as it had eaten itself into the copper core of the lead :shock: :shock: :shock:

..had some elect tape with me and gave it a few turns and hey the bike was great again.

Cobba: Any tips of brands to purchase? The leads i got is the silicone ones from dynatek themselves....

EDIT: Actually found dynatek leads in the garage, now i just have to find that copper thingie one put at coilside.....