Another one running rough !

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Another one running rough !

Post by devonnick » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi all i resisted asking for help as i can normally sort things out but I am getting pissed with my trx now I have fitted a second hand pair of carbs as the sir screw was seized solid in one carb...I have replaced all seals etc and set float heights..it fired up nice ticked over good and rode for a few miles nice..then it started to struggle i pulled over and it died i removed the seat ( quick release ) pivoted the tank back (I have extended fuel lines that allow for this ) removed the k and n filters and tried to start it..it turns over good but right carb keeps spitting at me i sat and had a roll up tried it again and it ran so i stuffed the filters down my jacket put the tank back down put the seat on and made a dash for home .
now it starts from cold ticks over good but after a few minutes it starts to run lumpy and the right carb coughs and spits and it stops...I have had the carbs off checked it all it looks good just wondering what the cause of these symptoms is ..ignition fault ? valve clearances ? i love the TRX but i feel like moving it on and trying something different ( read reliable ) any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks.

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Re: Another one running rough !

Post by ac@39 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 pm

sounds familiar ....go back to the start and clean them again - squirt carb cleaner down every hole and make sure its coming out where its meant to , thats what i have had to do - (i had a block hole (ouch)) - i laid it all out on an old white bed sheet - silly i know but if you have the filter in the carb fuel inlet check that hasnt gotten blocked too - just basically double check your own work
ive gone from stalling when i went down a steep hill, running on what felt like 1 cylinder to stalling every time i stopped and now its every so often when hot stationary and ticking over
even when you think youve been thorough you find like i did one carb mounting rubber not done up enough -- doh
inspired by san miguel

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 pm

i checked the valve clearances tonight all exhaust valves are good but inlets are a bit tight .. i can get 0.13 feeler in ... i know they need doing but I wonder if this is enough to cause my problem .

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Sat May 19, 2018 3:39 am

From past experience, it sounds like the carbs are out of balance, I have had the spitting side completely blow off the manifold. The adjustment screw is between the carbs, on the butterfly shaft, only small adjustments need to be made, either rotation until it runs cleanly.
Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Sun May 20, 2018 5:14 pm

i have ordered some shims and gaskets so will set the valve settings and give it another go ..the water pipe that comes out of the rocker cover was fun to get out :shock: I balanced the carbs so dont think it was that ...i might try swapping the coils over to see if the spitting moves from one cylinder to the other thanks for your time guys.

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Right here is what i have done...shimmed valves ...new plugs..copper core HT leads...removed resistor from plug caps..direct feed via relay to coils....set TPS...filed carb needle spacers so needle sits straight in tube..lots of mods that will hopefully sort it out put it all back together only to find its pissing out coolant from the short metal pipe that comes out of the rocker cover :shock: it was a pig to get out and I think it might be slightly bent ..any one got a spare one ? thank you .

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm

They are always stubborn to get out and need to be thoroughly cleaned and oring replaced to get a good seal. Bolt only needs 10Nm torque when you put it back together again.
If all else fails and last resort use a tiny bit of clear roof n gutter sealant around the pipe with the oring.
laughter is the best medicine

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks cobba I have got some o rings on there way ... :D