Carb needle spacer

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Carb needle spacer

Post by ac@39 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 pm

The plastic spacer that sits over the needle before it’s dropped into the diaphram is stepped so that the needle enters the jet straight.
At its thickest part does anyone know how thick this spacer is as I’m making my own as I only have flat ones which are after market- am trying to put carbs back to standard to rule out issues- getting there slowly

Many thanks
inspired by san miguel

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Re: Carb needle spacer

Post by Rod.s » Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 am

ac@39 wrote:The plastic spacer that sits over the needle before it’s dropped into the diaphram is stepped so that the needle enters the jet straight.
At its thickest part does anyone know how thick this spacer is as I’m making my own as I only have flat ones which are after market- am trying to put carbs back to standard to rule out issues- getting there slowly

Many thanks
You'd be surprised how few people know that the spacer is stepped to align the needle, I have a couple of old junk carbs. I'll check them tonight and measure the spacer and if there is a pair you can have them, if that helps.
R
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 am

Rod.s wrote:
ac@39 wrote:The plastic spacer that sits over the needle before it’s dropped into the diaphram is stepped so that the needle enters the jet straight.

Many thanks
You'd be surprised how few people know that the spacer is stepped to align the needle, I have a couple of old junk carbs. I'll check them tonight and measure the spacer and if there is a pair you can have them, if that helps.
R

That’s a generous offer but just the measurements would be great as already have the material to make new ones up
inspired by san miguel

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 am

I filed the round aftermarket plastic ones fitted to a set of carbies on 1 of Marko’s Trx’s when I serviced it recently.
Located beautifully I filed a flat edge on the metal washer too.
laughter is the best medicine

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 pm

i did think about doing that but i had a yzf750 few years back and seemed to recall the spacers were thicker than those i currently have - which if i file the step onto them wont leave much left -
inspired by san miguel

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Fri May 18, 2018 8:30 am

All measured using a micrometer (except internal Dia)
A- Dia, 9.0mm
B- Internal Dia, 2.98-3.0mm (or Dia of needle)- slight interference fit to stop the spacer turning when installing needle assembly.
C- Hight, 2.55mm
D- Step down total hight, 1.60mm
E- Distance from step-down to opposite edge 7.0mm

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Fri May 18, 2018 4:18 pm

i read on here somewhere that the spacer is not meant to have a cut away section in it....someone had done this mod to get the needle to sit central in the tube but then people were saying the needle is supposed to be off centre lightly touching the side of the tube to prevent globules of fuel running down the needle ..Im confused as which is correct .

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 pm

The reason for the needle dragging on the jet is to stop the fuel running down the needle and "drip" into the airstream causing misfire symptoms

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Rod.s wrote:All measured using a micrometer (except internal Dia)
A- Dia, 9.0mm
B- Internal Dia, 2.98-3.0mm (or Dia of needle)- slight interference fit to stop the spacer turning when installing needle assembly.
C- Hight, 2.55mm
D- Step down total hight, 1.60mm
E- Distance from step-down to opposite edge 7.0mm

Top man!! thank you
inspired by san miguel

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 pm

devonnick wrote:i read on here somewhere that the spacer is not meant to have a cut away section in it....someone had done this mod to get the needle to sit central in the tube but then people were saying the needle is supposed to be off centre lightly touching the side of the tube to prevent globules of fuel running down the needle ..Im confused as which is correct .

not sure if the theory is correct but i was under the impression the stepped spacer comes with the carbs as standard so im going with that - if you go to allens performance they would sell you a spacer with the step i believe
inspired by san miguel

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat May 19, 2018 1:41 am

devonnick wrote:i read on here somewhere that the spacer is not meant to have a cut away section in it....someone had done this mod to get the needle to sit central in the tube but then people were saying the needle is supposed to be off centre lightly touching the side of the tube to prevent globules of fuel running down the needle ..Im confused as which is correct .
Where did you read this?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 am

Someone put something up about this relating it to SU carburettors and cars.
My thought straight away was a multi cylinder vehicle using a bank of cylinders on 1 manifold to draw on I carburettor with larger jetting may be the reasoning behind a theory like this but struggled to see how as I can only see it promoting wear. I thought the actual emulsion tube design would dictate more on a problem like this. This is the reason why TDMR’s are much more efficient and you find better gains of up to 10Nm than FCR’s in the midrange. Much better atomisation of the fuel.

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Sat May 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Re: Carby kits common fault to be aware of..
Postby dandywarhol » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:
Trx has I intake working on 1 carburettor and a multicylinder car motor would have multi cylinders impacting on 1 or 2 manifolds. Maybe why the difference????

The reason for the needle dragging on the jet is to stop the fuel running down the needle and "drip" into the airstream causing misfire symptoms

devonnick
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by devonnick » Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 pm

This is what i read...if it is not related to trx carbs then maybe the mod is a good idea .

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 am

So what would cause the fuel to run back down the needle???
Lack of intake vacuum to continually draw the fuel up.
Possibly from a Lower compression motor like in a car motor which was common back in the carburettor era with multi cylinders flowing through a common manifold??
Or is from inconsistent Venturi vacuum compensating for altitude and temperature changes????
First intake option sounds more like a jetting issue so maybe Venturi option 2???