Bike dies when coming to a stop or when turning..

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

drix
Site Sponsor

Bike dies when coming to a stop or when turning..

Post by drix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi guys

My cafe racer TRX project is on the road and 98% sorted, you know, usual tweaks and setup things with any project but for some reason, it has a "funny" issue. I think I know where to start looking at but thought I'd get expert views/other things to check when I get round to checking/fixing it. Couldn't find much info on the forum hence this post.

My commute to work is primarily town riding (rush hour - central London) and the bike has a tendency to cut/die when I stop at traffic lights. Doesn't always happen, sometimes I can feel the rpm get low but then when I stop, it picks up again after idling for 5 or 10 seconds. The bike also cuts/dies when I turn right into the public car park I park.. you know, those long winding turns to go down one level..

Increasing the idling doesn't change anything so I'm thinking fuel "starvation" and probably float bowls being too high.. I will also give the carbs and air filter a clean at the same time.

Based on the symptoms, would I be on the right track with my investigation/fix? Anything else I should check?

Standard engine with 25K miles, standard carbs - mileage unknown, no checks on valve clearance done, bike runs fine otherwise.

Cheers
Adrien

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Bike dies when coming to a stop or when turning..

Post by Mincehead » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 am

Could ALSO be the throttle cables running `tight`, try repositioning them and also try backing them off a tad to give just a `little` more free play. The turning issue is the clue. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

Mincehead wrote:Could ALSO be the throttle cables running `tight`, try repositioning them and also try backing them off a tad to give just a `little` more free play. The turning issue is the clue. :wink:
Good call, I know what I'll be doing tonight ;)

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Practicing going down the car park ramp backwards?????
laughter is the best medicine

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:44 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Practicing going down the car park ramp backwards?????
Good call too, I know what I'll be doing on my way to work tomorrow morn! :lol: