expected cam chain & guide lifespan

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

expected cam chain & guide lifespan

Post by spiritedride » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Any thoughts or knowledge on when to renew? This TRX is approaching 70000 km, has had regular oil changes and ridden mostly at highway speeds.No issues with it ,just thinking these parts cant last forever and a timely replacement should give a nice motor an extended life. Any feedback greatly apprieciated.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Re: expected cam chain & guide lifespan

Post by Con Rod » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm

replaced mine with well over 100,000km on it. I did it as I was replacing some valves etc. No measurable stretch on the chain.
Paul

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:59 am

spiritedride wrote:Any thoughts or knowledge on when to renew? This TRX is approaching 70000 km, has had regular oil changes and ridden mostly at highway speeds.No issues with it ,just thinking these parts cant last forever and a timely replacement should give a nice motor an extended life. Any feedback greatly apprieciated.
Timing chains are treated the same as your drive chain, inspect for damage, stiff links, do the wear test and (as they are cheep) just replace anyway.
Generally the timing chain tensioner will give you an indication of the wear of the chain, rarely do timing chains break on their own accord. Chains break when they become worn, sloppy and dislodged from a sprocket and jam, causing massive loads that these chains are not designed to take, so bang. I'd replace the timing chain when the tensioner is at around 80%, but that is just me and others have different opinions.

The TRX manual has no recommendation on the chain other then inspect....
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, if that is typical of a well serviced trx motor it gives me confidence to put it out of my mind for a couple of years.