Trouble getting new tyres?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Trouble getting new tyres?

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:20 am

Hello all,

I know there is a tyres section but it doesn't seem to have had many recent posts.

Is it only me? This spring I've rung around for new tyres for the TRX. Many different places all in the West Midlands/Oxfordshire area of the UK and all have told me the same story. They don't make tyres in that size any more. One even rang me back after checking and told me that 160/60/17 doesn't exist. Three had the same line that 160/60/17 aren't available and have to be made up once I've ordered and expect several weeks delay.
In the end I've just said what tyres can I have this week and been forced to buy BT021's!

Is it me? Are 160/60/17's not made any more? I'm being repeatedly told that all bikes are 55 or 50 profile now. Do I need to rethink my wheels/frame/suspension (and shout loads more) to be able to use new tyres? Or have I come to the road in middle aged maleness that I now own "classics" and should fit "classic tyres". :(
Three of my bikes are 160/60/17, and the fourth bike is 170/60/17.

Cheers,
Glen.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Trouble getting new tyres?

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 am

180/55/17 is the standard nowadays, but stating 160/60 is not available anymore is ridiculous. :?
Michelin Pilot Road/Power 2/3/4, Pirelli with racy compound, all big brands just have 160/60 in their program.

https://gb.mynetmoto.com/shop.cfm/tyre/ ... position=r

Overlord Neil
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Overlord Neil » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 am

Most 'modern' bikes don't use either a 60 profile or a 160 width, so it would make sense that most tyre stockists don't hold them on the shelf, but to not be able to source any is pretty poor.

I've had good experiences with Merit tyres before, if you have one locally, or buy them online and change them yourself. The front and rear on a TRX are an easy change because the profile is 'so high' and 'so narrow' unlike modern sports bikes, plenty of guides online a few simple tools and job done. Only slight problem you might face is that most council dumps don't take old tyres (around here anyway) so you might have to ask a local tyre bay very nicely if you can offload your old tyres for some beer tokens.
C90, TS50, H100, H100, CB250, GS500, Tiger 955i, TRX850, Tuono, ZZR600, CBR954RR

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 am

Last year I had PR4's fitted - off the shelf. 2014 and 2015 Metz M7RR's - again off the shelf. This year - diddly! All to order - except for what I've plumped for with the "better get rid of these" antique BT021's.

Maybe online is the future. Providing they don't make me wait 3weeks as per what all my local bike tyre shops were asking me to do. I suspect they all use the same regional distributor.

But if it's getting hard now, in two years will it be next to impossible?

Cheers,
Glen.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 pm

The tyre place here in Leicester has a few in stock but nothing like the amount he kept a few years ago, and I was even told they didn't make PR4s in those sizes. I order my tyres online anyway, more choice that way. Though I did recently pick up a very slightly used Avon Storm Ultra 2 for the rear, a snip at £50 - I saw it on gumtree!
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

BigAl-TC
Site Sponsor

Post by BigAl-TC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am

Try ordering from http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com I used to get tyres there before our aussie dollar turned to pesos. I used to order 4 tyres at a time to optimise freight costs. The freight cost was $80 two years ago, they would arrive in four working days, USA to WEST AUSSIE. Not so economical for us these days but your pound isn''t to bad against the USD is it.
Worth a look at least.
Cheers,
Alan.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Yep used to do the same Al, could squeeze in 3 pair of good old single compound pilot powers with shipping for my $1000.
Till as you said, the arse fell out of the $$$$.
laughter is the best medicine