Inlet Valves

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

icepirate34
TRX-Enthusiast

Inlet Valves

Post by icepirate34 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 am

Hi
in the process of rebuilding the cylinder head as using oil and the inlet valves are tight and looking to replace a couple - the question I have is what is the difference between the inlet valves - when you look at Yamaha parts manual there are listed as two different types - center vales and the to outer ones

thanks

?Kex

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Re: Inlet Valves

Post by sanddune51 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 pm

The centre inlet valves are a different length to the 2 outers. Slightly longer if memory serves me.

Take time when examining the seats of the inlet valves. Some, but certainly not all wear very badly indeed. This has been discussed at some length on the forum with a great photograph of one of my original inlet valves to illustrate the wear that can occur. The only solution if any are found to be as bad as that is replacement. The seats in the head only seem to suffer normal expected deterioration.

Mark.

icepirate34
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by icepirate34 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Mark

I noticed a couple of the inlet valves were worn so there is a ridge -the seats look ok

kev

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am

Do you know the year( eg95-96) of the motor???
I've learnt Yamaha had a recall on these motors to replace the inlet valves due to a manufacturing fault hence the revised part number and no problems on the last couple of years of manufacture of the TRX. Contact Yamaha if it's a pre 97 model and argue the point. You may at least get the valves free. It's worth a try....
laughter is the best medicine

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:I've learnt Yamaha had a recall on these motors to replace the inlet valves due to a manufacturing fault hence the revised part number and no problems on the last couple of years of manufacture of the TRX.
All I've ever heard is that they always denied there was a problem and then quietly fixed it with the revised part..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue May 30, 2017 3:37 am

There was certainly no recall in Australia.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue May 30, 2017 1:10 pm

OK I'll dispell what I read in an article on the TRX as a myth and in hignsight I should have questioned Yamaha personally.
laughter is the best medicine