Water leak advice

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

newfattrixierider
TRX-Enthusiast

Water leak advice

Post by newfattrixierider » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Nearing completion of renovation on my TRX I have installed a replacement engine after checking compression and valve clearances. These were better than on the engine that was in the bike when I bought it. When preparing to run it for 1st time today after filling cooling system with water I have 2 leaks even without pressurising the system. \ist one is leak from thermostat housing - plastic cap has deformed and not sealing against o ring. Second and most puzzling leak is from a machined hole on the LHS side of the LH cylinder head. I don't even know what this hole is for but my other engine has the same. Any ideas why water is leaking from this hole?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Water leak advice

Post by Mincehead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 pm

The thermostat issue is common, they just do that sometimes. As for the machined `hole` I think you are talking about the drain hole for any water that may get down into the spark plug tunnels. If you`ve got water coming from there, FIRST be certain it`s not residual water from the thermostat leak. :wink:
I think it might be.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Water leak advice

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 am

I had the same with the thermostat. Not unusual, with only two bolts for a plastic piece that deforms easily.
I fitted the housing together with liquid gasket. :roll: No trouble since.