water pipe

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

water pipe

Post by jjmoto » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am

Been doing valve clearances, when i took the curved water pipe off the head there was a fair old bit of corrosion around the base of it. Any good methods of cleaning it up without dropping crap into the head, got it plugged with tissue paper at the moment

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: water pipe

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 am

I too would love to know if there is a trick to this, I've done the clearances twice now and both times the middle exhaust valve directly underneath the crud has been covered in the stuff. It's baked on so you have to scrape it off but then it immediately crumbles into little granules and goes everywhere, total nightmare! I just turned the motor over a few times by hand and cleaned out as much as I could until the cam lobe stopped scrunching..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Capau
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Capau » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:26 am

It's handy to use compressed air. If you don't have your own compressor, it could be found at most of mechanical shops, maybe gas stations. You can soak it in penetrating lubricant and then apply air.

jjmoto
Site Sponsor

Post by jjmoto » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:56 pm

I have a compressor but not sure blowing the dirt away is a good idea think I might use a hoover

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:25 am

YEP, vacuum while scraping. The crevice tool (oooer!) with gaffer taped on piece of hose does the trick a treat. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES